Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I an experiencing a clunky gear change 8in my 2.4JTD 6 speed box, typically 1st, 2nd, 3rd and generally when engine is cold. Seems to be smoother once it has warmed up, and also smoother in the higher gears.

Any thoughts? I have just had my DMF and clutch changed (it was a bit clunky before then, and I had a vain hope that the DMF & clutch change might halp it as a side issue).

Is there a possible lubrication issue? 60k service just done.

Does this mean that the gearbox on its way out? Synchro problem?

What options do I have if that's the case? Replacement box/recon/any other cheaper option?
Cheers
Iain

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a similar issue with mine, although mainly in 2nd & 3rd. My local dealer (Chris Variara in Nottingham) lubricated the linkages which improved, but didn't totally fix, the issue. They then told me that all 2.4JTDm boxes were like this and it wasn't faulty.
I'm still not sure if they were fobbing me off or if they are right.
Anyone else with a 2.4 JTDm have any experience of this?

Cheers

Chris

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts
This is a GM gearbox, so you could try a Vauxhall forum (seriously)..

Best of luck guys.. :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
I know this is an old thread but it doesnt seem resolved yet 3 years on. I have the same question about my 2.4 20v and was wondering if since 2009 anyone has solved or had similar problems. It doesnt matter how smoothly i try and change gear its always a bit 'clunky'. feels like im dropping the clutch a bit or the clutch is not being released onto the flywheel at the same rate as i'm controlling. before i bought the car it had a new fly wheel and clutch fitted 20k miles back so i was thinking maybe its happened to my car before.
Is this a common thing with GM boxes? any pointers would be a great help

·
Registered
932 Posts
It most be a 'problem' with gearbox, as my other half as a 2.2 dti vectra and 1st,2nd n sometimes 3rd are a bit cruncky, have changed g/b oil n it helped a bit. My local vauxhall said to me the diff was on is way out 6months ago that is why the cruncky, still the car drive well and is been over 6mths now

·
Registered
719 Posts
i was suspecting it was going to be a live with it kind of thing. oh well it doesnt stop it being a great car just not as great as it could be.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yep, its live with I'm afraid. I tried everything to sort the notchy 1/2/3 change on mine. Running with less oil (a Vauxhall 'fix') made no difference to mine. New posh oil didn't help. I've checked adjustment on linkages etc and nothing is stiff/binding etc. The gearbox is just as bad as it was nearly 2 years ago so its not getting worse. I find using higher rpm/less throttle gives much smoother changes than using lower rpm/more throttle. I can usually get a smooth change if I use 2,500 rpm from 1st to 2nd. You do sort of get used to it......

Keith

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not much consolation to you, but I found mine got better when the car was fully warned up - typically after a good stretch of motorway, it was OK when back on the little roads.
I also think it has improved over the years; or I'm just so used to it I don't notice so much??? Car is now at nearly 85k miles.

And agree it is still a GREAT car. Had it 6 years and still not looking to change it. That's twice as long as I've kept any other car!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Agreed! The 20V engine in the light (vs 159) 156 makes for a great fun car. I thought of going for a 159 as it would obviously be more refined but the much worse fuel economy, performance and DPF issues made my mind up for me. Two years later and still love it. We have had our current Volvo for 13 years so who knows how long we'll keep the Alfa for :)

Keith

1 - 11 of 11 Posts