Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this knocking/clunking noise coming from the rear of the car for a couple of years now however it occurs very infrequently, i.e. it will occur a few times and then won't be heard again for months at a time.

Last week we were on holiday in Cornwall, no noise was heard during the drive down from the Midlands and for the first 4 days and then on Thursday the clunking/knocking started to occur from the rear of the car, its not constant but does seem to occur more over bumpy roads, it isn't linked to braking either. Friday no knocking/clunking heard, then Saturday we drove home to Midlands, again no noise heard until we just got back home, then it started again. Sunday its knocking/clunking again (particularly over bumps).

The exhaust seems to be fixed correctly and not moving excessively, and I ensured there isn't anything in the boot causing it. I've had a limited look under the car and everything seems OK but I think it may be coming from the nearside rear wheel but not absolutely certain. It's completely weird because it can go months without it occurring (last time it did it must have been over 12 months ago) and then start again for a day or so.

Has anyone seen or heard this before and any idea what it might be. I'm trying to look for pointers before committing to having it looked at by the 'stealer' - I know for sure that once it is booked in the noise will stop occurring typically.

I wasn't sure whether the rear shocks have the same top mount bearing as the front ones.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One other thing, the car has had two services and two MOT's since this problem first occurred and no problems were raised at each.

It's very strange....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update on this problem....I may be wrong in blaming the rear of the car as I do seem to have knocking from the front, this was highlighted by turning the steering wheel back and forth whilst stationary. So best guess it may be a top struct mount bearing gone..a common problem on the Mito.

Whilst driving its difficult to establish where the knocking noise is coming from, as previously mentioned it sounded from the rear. It also occurs on a smooth road (yes there are some in this country) during initial acceleration/deceleration, I guess the suspension comes on and off load causing it to move. It also seems to have a mind of its owned since some days I don't hear anything at all whilst today it occurred pretty much on a regular basis on my drive home from work. Very frustrating......

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well can now confirm the knocking is from the front near side suspension and its looking like the struct top mount bearing. Knocking is occurring regularly now so just need to book car in garage now to get it sorted. ?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
May also be front droplinks? I had a similar-sounding issue that was resolved by replacing these I believe.
You could be right...but not sure yet.

Took it to Alfa garage and the technician didn't think it was top mounts as the knocking caused by these normally only occurs when steering turned slowly whilst stationary. This knocking is now occurring regularly whilst driving, usually over bumps whether steering turned or not plus sometimes when stationary and steering turned. It can also occur when changing gear, braking or accelerating as the car leans forward and back.

Anyway took him out in it and thankfully the knocking didn't let me down and occurred on cue. He confirmed the knocking we were hearing doesn't sound like top mounts. So car now booked in week on Monday to sort this problem out....so we wait and see what the diagnosis is.....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well car booked in Monday to see if they can find out what this knocking is however in between rain spells today I thought I would remove the nearside front wheel to have a quick look around myself.

Suspension parts seemed ok, nothing obviously knocking, loose, etc however when I grabbed the driveshaft and pulled/pushed it in and out there was lateral movement and a knocking sound. It did this whether the wheel was on the ground or lifted. Trying the same on the offside front wheel driveshaft yielded no such sound or movement.

So i'm wondering whether this is the problem i'm hearing. Surely the driveshaft shouldn't be making this sound when pulled and pushed, could it be a bearing or cv joint problem.

The knocking sound is still intermittent whilst driving, i.e. it didn't occur at all Thursday but is back again today. So hopefully after Monday I will have a more definitive answer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts