Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Two weeks ago I shelled out £1000 for a new Clutch and DMF flywheel for my 08 Brera (80K miles). I have now started to experience an audible clunk when changing gear - clunk is when clutch is depressed and gear is selected (not as clutch is engaged). This happens when the car is moving but also when selecting gears with the car stationary.

Any ideas what it could be? - please tell me that it could be something cheap/simple???

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

I have had same issue since having the gearbox rebuilt 6 months ago on the Brera. Had indie take a look but couldn’t spot anything

·
Registered
360 Posts
What gearbox / engine do you have? Does the gear lever move once you've engaged a gear as you take your foot off the clutch. Any noise above 20 mph?

·
Registered
Brera '06 2.2 JTS
205 Posts
I've had the gearbox rebuilt, new bearings, DMF, clutch, the lot. There is a noticeable clunk when shifting gears, just think it's the in-elegant GM M32 gearbox design (2.2 JTS)

·
Registered
Brera '06 2.2 JTS
205 Posts
You can probably replicate the clunking issue by shifting the gearbox lever directly by hand (when the engine's not running). It's located beneath the battery which will need removing to get at it. The other issue there is the gearstick cables are stiff when changing gear and need lubing inside (with penetrating oil spray). Unfortunately the only way to do that is to also remove the battery and I can't be bothered with the resulting several days of error codes popping up :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
This clunk noise could be related to the engine alignment. When the engine or transmission were taken out
or just loosend from the mounts, you have to make sure the engine and transmission are properly aligned to
90° angle to the engine compartment when you put them back in. If not, every movement in the drivetrain creates
tension in the engine mounts, the driveshafts and even your exhaust.
The easiest way to check this is taking a closer look at the engine mount. If it´s not pointing in a straight right angle
out of ist housing, you located the problem. If transmission was taken out, you have to correct the mount on the transmission
which is located under the batterie tray.

Fixing it is easy. You have to take out the battery an loosen the bolts on the transmission a bit. Do not take them out completly, your gearbox can fall down on the floor. Take a big bar or any other suitable tool and push the transmission
in the correct position, then tighten the bolts again, and finish. This should solve your problem.

Also you should check your subframe. When reassembling the subframe, the bolts should be tightend final when the
car stands on the ground, not on the lift! I know that some might say it doesn´t matter if the car is on the ground or on
the lift, but it does make a difference. Just try it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don’t know which model you have but I’ve experienced the same problem in my Brera ‘08 3.2 JTS Q4 with the standard F40 manual gearbox. I bought the car 2016 with a mileage of 51.500. Clunk appears from 1st to 2nd gear but especially from 2nd to 3rd gear, when releasing the clutch (also downshifting from 4th to 3rd gear). The feeling was that I had a very sloppy drivetrain in some way.

Change of gearbox oil a couple of years back didn’t made any difference.
However, after changing transmission oil in the idler unit or PTU (distribution of power between front and rear axle) and in the rear differential (RDA) this past summer, the shifting is now almost seamless. No clunk or sloppy feeling in the drivetrain.

I cannot explain the reason technically but for me, with my setup, it was a eureka moment.
The old oil in the front differential (PTU) was quite brown and dark. The new Tutela Car Multi Axle oil was almost clear and transparent.

I don’t know if this will help you in any way but I wish you good luck.

Cheers,
Olof

·
Registered
938 Posts
After working on the clutch master cylinder of my 20 valve 156 I got a similar sort of clunk. I’m not sure whether the clunk when selecting gears stationary matches, but since it’s potentially a quick fix I’ll post. I had forgotten to reset the clutch pedal switch adjustment, so it was no longer warning the ecu about the gear- change. As soon as I reset the switch (5 minute job on mine) the clunk disappeared and the gear-change felt normal again. You can check the operation of the switch if you have cruise control because briefly ‘dabbing’ the pedal without beginning to disengage the clutch should cancel cc.

·
Registered
Brera '06 2.2 JTS
205 Posts
The sound is coming from the mechanical movement of the lever in the gearbox as you change gear but I've never heard such a sound from inside the cabin on other cars. I know the M32 gearbox (2.2 JTS) is not exactly the most elegant piece of kit of ever built but I wouldn't expect to be able to hear this sound from inside the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts