Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sometimes hear this Clunk sound after moving away in the morning. It sounds like its from the rear brake disks that have had the pads clamped down on the disks from the handbrake all night in the rain especially. And when you release the handbrake and move away theres the Clunk sound when it seems like all the brakes are being released and you move away.

Im thinking in the rain theres a light layer of rust that forms on the disks overnight and maybe that fuses the disk to the pad.

Does that sound right or is it something else? what do people think?

Doesnt sound serious but just curious to know what it is.

·
0 Posts
I reckon you are right - tis the small amount of surface rust that builds up when parked - mine does the same

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
:confused: Wot ? It rains in Oz ? :confused: :D

I agree with t'others Fred, pretty normal stuff. I get around it by not using the handbrake, first gear works for me ! :)

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:confused: Wot ? It rains in Oz ? :confused: :D

I agree with t'others Fred, pretty normal stuff. I get around it by not using the handbrake, first gear works for me ! :)
Yeah Nige its been bucketing down rain here. It never rains it pours !!

Are you serious never use the handbrake ?

·
16,322 Posts
Are you serious never use the handbrake ?
Hiya Fred,

Yep, very, very rarely use the handbrake, can't afford to fit a new cable should it break or stretch ! :D

It's like the electric aerial, use once a month or so to keep it from seizing up. Unless I'm in a very hilly place and in a queue of traffic the handbrake is never used. Never use it when parked, just engage either first or reverse gear as appropriate. I've always done this and so far so good ! Of course you have to be aware that the handbrake isn't on when getting back into the car after being away for a little while 'cos if you are on a slight slope and then just push the clutch in before engaging brain............... :eek:

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hiya Fred,

Yep, very, very rarely use the handbrake, can't afford to fit a new cable should it break or stretch ! :D

It's like the electric aerial, use once a month or so to keep it from seizing up. Unless I'm in a very hilly place and in a queue of traffic the handbrake is never used. Never use it when parked, just engage either first or reverse gear as appropriate. I've always done this and so far so good ! Of course you have to be aware that the handbrake isn't on when getting back into the car after being away for a little while 'cos if you are on a slight slope and then just push the clutch in before engaging brain............... :eek:
Hey Nige ,

Thats interesting is it expensive to replace if broken ? and what do you think is the estimated life span ?

Sounds like all the old Alfetta GTVs I had I never used the handbrake because it become loose after tightening after 1-2 days. Get it back from a service and the handbrake would be super tight on 1-2 clicks and then gradually loosen after a couple of days till you could pull it almost up 90 Deg !! and have no braking capacity at all !!

Remember all my girlfriends at the time used to enjoy playing with the hand brake at that angle :D

·
16,322 Posts
Hey Nige ,

Thats interesting is it expensive to replace if broken ? and what do you think is the estimated life span ?

Sounds like all the old Alfetta GTVs I had I never used the handbrake because it become loose after tightening after 1-2 days. Get it back from a service and the handbrake would be super tight on 1-2 clicks and then gradually loosen after a couple of days till you could pull it almost up 90 Deg !! and have no braking capacity at all !!

Remember all my girlfriends at the time used to enjoy playing with the hand brake at that angle :D
Dunno about the cost of replacing the cable Fred, know it was a pig of a job on the Alfasuds but I'd adopted the concept of not using the handbrake long before then. I expect mine to last forever - unless the MoT Tester gets a bit over enthusiastic !

As you say, " Alfas " and " Handbrakes " is an oxymoron, the two are just incompatible, never worked for more than two days or so after the MoT but they did have other uses ! Or so you tell me ! :D

The GTV handbrake is the best I've ever had on an Alfa, it does actually seem to work pretty well, must have been a bad day in the design office.

Enjoy the rain Fred, did I mention that we have glorious weather over here ??? ;)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My 33 handbrakes all work fine - good old trusty rear drums. ;)
I use them whenever I come to a stop while driving too.
Years ago when I only had one 33, its pads sometimes liked to fuse to the drums to the point where I couldn't get the car to move first thing in the morning. I'd try using first gear then reverse gear to rock the car back and forward to release the brakes, then I'd resort to banging the brake drums using the handle of the factory wheel brace through the holes in the alloys. It's like they designed these two components for just that scenario. ;)

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
I never had any problems with the handbrake on rear disc-braked Alfas I've owned (except when the calipers themselves were knackered). I find Drums are more feeble generally.

But the "clunk" is the pads disengaging.. I get it every morning after I washed the car, if I didn't take it out for a spin afterwards.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm thats interesting Ralf.

Was tempted to buy a 33 when they were popular, but couldnt find a good one at the time, they all had high mileage and run into the ground almost. Good looking car when they were new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts