Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When on full lock at low speed I get a clunk & it almost feels like the front end is skipping sideways. Happens in both forward and reverse. Convinced I was going to clump the walls in a particularly tight multi storey car park yesterday.

It's a QV Line 170 MA TB TCT & only 9 months old.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'd normally think C.V joint but 9 months is very early for failure.. Does it happen in both left and right lock?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Still under warrenty so chuck it back :) maybe issue with the rack itself..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did wonder about the tyres but they've still got 4mm. Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT from new although they've got 15,000 miles on 'em :nervous:

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's usually tyre tread pattern and tyre wear that causes this. I've had this with every Alfa we've had. It disappears when new tyres are fitted.
I can confirm above, had the same problem and around 2 weeks ago fitted new tyres on front and back or they were all worn down and didn't have any problems since.

I guess brand doesn't matter, though I fitted Vredestein Ultrac Cento.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
That sounds unpleasant. I'd want to check wheel nuts and for movement in hubs, swivels and track rod ends before relying on 'they all do that, sir'.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That sounds unpleasant. I'd want to check wheel nuts and for movement in hubs, swivels and track rod ends before relying on 'they all do that, sir'.
Concerning responses to this question as my 15 plate MA Sprint has done this from new! In fact i've noticed quite a few random clicks, pings and knocks when manouvering on full lock..

Come to that, it also squeaks like buggery from bushes on the front end from cold, has a vibration through the steering wheel when at speed using full throttle, and has steering that after a while on a long journey feels like it's sticking around the centre point - quite disconcerting when you it suddenly gives and you move across half a lane on the motorway unintentionally!!

Of course - dealer can find nothing wrong despite having it in their hands for 5 days...

To be fair she does now have 33,000 miles on the clock and was only registered June last year.. And i don't care about the faults that much as i love her to pieces!

Said dealer has now lost its Alfa main dealer status though so may try a different one soon.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Concerning responses to this question as my 15 plate MA Sprint has done this from new! In fact i've noticed quite a few random clicks, pings and knocks when manouvering on full lock..

Come to that, it also squeaks like buggery from bushes on the front end from cold, has a vibration through the steering wheel when at speed using full throttle, and has steering that after a while on a long journey feels like it's sticking around the centre point - quite disconcerting when you it suddenly gives and you move across half a lane on the motorway unintentionally!!

Of course - dealer can find nothing wrong despite having it in their hands for 5 days...

To be fair she does now have 33,000 miles on the clock and was only registered June last year.. And i don't care about the faults that much as i love her to pieces!

Said dealer has now lost its Alfa main dealer status though so may try a different one soon.
I know exactly what you are describing about the steering centrepoint thing, wait while it snows, get your missus to crash the car into the kerb without damaging the bodywork and it goes away!! New Rack sorted mine!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've had the clunking/scrubbing noises on my G for the last 6 months or so - getting to the point where it was pretty bad even doing tight turns (going forward!) in multi-story car parks.

Just had the front tyres replaced (like OP, Dunlop sportmaxx's @ 15k miles) and had full tracking/suspension alignment checked (Elite in Rainham, Essex - excellent service and great bacon sarnies too!). Nothing wrong suspension wise, the tracking was slightly out probably due to speed bumps but that was it. The noise has gone and the car's handling better so I'd go along with Tim NW earlier in the thread that it's down to the tyres.

Trev

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've had the clunking/scrubbing noises on my G for the last 6 months or so - getting to the point where it was pretty bad even doing tight turns (going forward!) in multi-story car parks.

Just had the front tyres replaced (like OP, Dunlop sportmaxx's @ 15k miles) and had full tracking/suspension alignment checked (Elite in Rainham, Essex - excellent service and great bacon sarnies too!). Nothing wrong suspension wise, the tracking was slightly out probably due to speed bumps but that was it. The noise has gone and the car's handling better so I'd go along with Tim NW earlier in the thread that it's down to the tyres.

Trev
I would like to add to this that this discussion has been going on for a while on a Dutch forum as well and there quite a lot of people came to the same conclusion, bad tyres.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts