Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Getting an odd clunking noise when setting off at low speeds when manoeuvring close to or at full lock. steering rack?

Also getting a odd banging noise whit a perceptible shudder through the chassis when doing full throttle shift from 1st to 2nd (straight line launch) but may be unrelated, is this going to be suspension related more of a oh **** I don't like what your doing from the dampers trying to maintain traction on the eibach coilovers I have installed?

Also noticed some creaking noises externally and sounds like one of my brake pads may be binding slightly at the front.

Never rains but it pours with GTAs eh? lol

Anyway, any thoughts on the above, i'll be booking it in next week to be looked at so if anyone has any idea's beforehand would be great.

Cheers

Sean

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
**** Sean thats crap luck your having, obviously I aint got a clue whats the problem just offering up support ;)

Has yours had a hard life or lots of miliage then? :confused:

M

·
0 Posts
I could be completely wrong Ghosty, but I wouldn't expect a front suspension issue to make itself apparent through the whole of the chassis as you have described....unless the whole lot is completely buggered, which knowing how you look after your car is unlikely................it sounds like more of a drivetrain issue to me, which 'may' be associated with the noises you have experienced on full lock. I take it the damage to the nearside quarter is now sorted??

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers lads I'll drive it gingerly till I can get it looked at then.

Car is still battered the other insured party hasn't sent their claims form back to their broker and so if this goes on much longer the other insurance company will have to accept liability on behalf of the other driver.

Hope that is how it goes makes things a whole lot easier. :)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
sounds like cv's to me - same symptoms as mine - now completely cured via a nice warranty claim :)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds like cv's to me - same symptoms as mine - now completely cured via a nice warranty claim :)
Did it also feel a little loose and dead in weighting of steering feedback on yours Marc?

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
I would go with the CV joints or foofed drive shaft.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Did it also feel a little loose and dead in weighting of steering feedback on yours Marc?
Yep it did.

Strange though you couldn't replicate it up on a ramp....

Looked at arb and track rod ends first before going full cv driveshaft route

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep it did.

Strange though you couldn't replicate it up on a ramp....

Looked at arb and track rod ends first before going full cv driveshaft route
Yeah had that a lot with other bits, like arb drop links, garage couldn't find any play but replacing it fixed the problem. Think it maybe because everything is so much stiffer. :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
just replaced both my outer cv joints for the same symptoms , now its cured, i think the cvs work out about 95+vat on a exchange basis, and i payed 50 labour per corner, so not as bad as i originally thought. the inner cv joints are a bit pricier at over 220, thought the inner went originally and found non genuine for alfa gt v6 3.2 which should be the same on ebay for 40?.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
When my lower wishbones had shot ball joints they made loud cracking/banging noises when on or close to full lock, especially when reversing. Might be worth a look. My mechanic could see a little play in them when using a big bar, but once they were off were shockingly loose.
Good luck and hope you get it sorted:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Is it a loud clunk of a muffled, quiet clunk? Mine has recently developed quite a load clunk noise as the weight transfers from one side of the car to the other. Not on full lock necessarily. Sounds almost as if something is resting or catching on something then frees itself? If it continues I will have to book it in

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have noticed the same sounds before, keep me posted Ghosty,

P.S - where was the photo taken on your avatar?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have noticed the same sounds before, keep me posted Ghosty,

P.S - where was the photo taken on your avatar?
Will do, I have it booked in for Monday.

Photo was taken at a meet where AO organised to have the Mersey Tunnel closed for the photo opportunity. The car in the middle is Fabrizio Giovanardi's BTCC car.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thought so, but didn't believe they would shut the tunnel for a photoshoot. which one is yours then?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thought so, but didn't believe they would shut the tunnel for a photoshoot. which one is yours then?
The white GTA next to Fabrizio Giovanardi's BTCC car :D

·
Registered
301 Posts

forgot, remember seeing your thread about the "bump", did you get that sorted out yet?

remember bad things come in 3's (or so the wife keeps telling me), so you should be in the clear for ages now!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

forgot, remember seeing your thread about the "bump", did you get that sorted out yet?

remember bad things come in 3's (or so the wife keeps telling me), so you should be in the clear for ages now!
Not yet, still waiting to see if the other party can be bothered to fill the accident claims forms in, if they cannot then their insurance company will settle on their behalf :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts