Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 159 I really do but for the past few months I've been putting up with the most annoying noise from the rear of the car.

I believe there are two problems here but being able to identify them is becoming a bit of a nightmare so I'm looking for some suggestions.

I know for certain that the "rattle" noise is coming from around the parcel shelf area but for the life of me can not find anything loose that would cause such a noise. Maybe I need to remove completely to identify?

The second noise is like a clunking/knocking noise which I hear whenever I go over a pot hole or when I turn a corner that immediately starts uphill.

I recently had the rear springs changed as one of them had snapped so I can rule that out.

I don't mean to sound like a drama queen but it really does sour the enjoyment of driving my Alfa when all I can here is rattles, clunks and knocking noises everytime I go out to drive it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
the knocking noise sounds similar to the one I have, but mine is on the front end (passenger side) and has been diagnosed as a dodgy upper wishbone...

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
When you say Wishbone, it's probably more accurately the Bush for the wishbone, in the 159, and many other cars now you often need to replace the entire wishbone, the part that failed is likely to have cost just a couple of £.
Likely the be the issue at the rear too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm suspecting that the knocking noise is down to worn shock absorbers (although my car has only done 43,000 miles) but it's the only a guess.

As I say, very annoying to hear every day. :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say Wishbone, it's probably more accurately the Bush for the wishbone, in the 159, and many other cars now you often need to replace the entire wishbone, the part that failed is likely to have cost just a couple of £.
Likely the be the issue at the rear too.
Is that easily identified if I take it to a garage and suggest this to be the problem? My knowledge of cars is not that great I'm afraid.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Yes, they will normally jack the car up and wiggle the wheels, if there is movement there, it normally means a bush of some sort has gone.
Almost all the suspension joints, are protected with the rubber bushes, with agressive use, road salt, age etc, they degrade, allowing more movement, and metal on metal contact (which you can hear).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been going an alternate way to work for the past year which is riddled with pot holes so I dont think that's helped much. Thank you for the advice. :thumbs:

·
Registered
862 Posts
The rear suspension on these cars is fairly robust, having been designed to take 4WD. The only problems I've seen are broken rear springs (should always be changed as a pair) and worn drop links.

Front upper wishbones are quite a common failure now though. Shaking the front wheels with the car jacked up may pick up play in the balljoint, but is unlikely to detect movement in the bushes. You need lever the wishbone back and forth using a large scewdriver or similar whilst looking for movement in the front bush; some movement in the rubber part of the bush is intentional, but if you see play between the metal and plastic "washers" then replacement is required. A good tell-tale sign of worn bushes is a rusty stain around the white plastic washers, indicating that water has got into the bush.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts