Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
I've had my dad's GTA for a couple of weeks now...its a great car.

We've had it at the mechanic and he could not solve the clunk noises from the front. We are suspecting the top shock mounts as he could partly move the rubber with little force by pressing a knife agianst it.

But, the noise sounds like it coming from front/footwell...almost as if its the anit-roll bar. Is this a common issue on 156 GTA? The car has 176000km on the clock. At times, the car will also move around on the highway when going straight...

Another small thing I've noticed when cleaning the leather GTA seats:inlove: It is all black leather, but at the bottom of the front seat at the back where the backside of the seat meets the bum side...there is alcantara...:confused:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
If you have checked the suspension, engine mounts (top and bottom) then it could be the drive shaft.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bottom mount replaced, driveshafts have been removed and inspected and boots replaced, top engine mount is knackered, I can move it with my hand, the rubber is completely perished...but it seems highly unlikely that that clunking noise would surface because the top engine mount is broken?

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I would say, from previous experience from a clunk in the footwell, that it will be anti-roll bar related. And yes the bushes do need replacing from time to time. Mine were done at 80,000 miles. At that time I opted to replace with the thicker Eibach anti-roll bar, which made a nice difference.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Change that top engine mount. If it's knackered then all your engine mounts are probably shot.

That's probably your issue.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Moves on road in a straight line. Usually lower wishbones.
Clonk from same area. :as above
Replace upper engine mount.
TRACKING!!!!!!!!
I would suggest looking at the lower rear one on the gearbox too.
Arb bushes failing are common and well documented but only look at this after sorting the lower arms and top engine mount.
Finally at 11,000 + posts you should know better. Use the search function :tut: :p ;)

Enjoy. Where's my thank you beer :D

·
Vendor
46,244 Posts
If you're going to do the anti roll bar bushes then consider doing the lower arms at the same time, nice and easy then. Obviously if they're in good condition there is no need to, but you should have an idea of when they were last changed and at 176,000km they can't be on the original ones still.

Slack in the anti roll bar bushes can be ascertained by pulling the roll bar towards you and pushing it away from you as you are stood in one of the wheel arches.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts