Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I replaced both wishbones and other associated front suspension components, I have always had a slight clunk from the strut. This however got a lot worse over the last week or so as I use the GTV more in the sunny weather. Thinking........oh more money, fronts struts needed, I put off investigating what else the clunk clunk might be...

Yesterday, I couldn't stand the noise any longer, and got the jack out. Imagine my horror when I noticed the wheel only held on by one bolt!:confused: Two were sheared off and the other two loose :eek:

Moral of story is..............never put off investigating what a noise might be. If I had left it any longer, I may well have found myself in a ditch, or worse.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I also had a strange squeeling/clunking sound from somewere under my car that turned out to be loose bolts on my left front wheel......

/Olle

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Nope. did mine at the weekend so well ahead of all of you:p

·
Registered
187 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me today. 2 days ago noticed a bit of a knock from front left wheel- checked out the lower A arm mounting bolts were all in place (once had a wishbone snap off at the mounting so always a bit pedantic about checking all bolts are tight & in place), they were fine so wrote off the noise to worn upper A arm bushes.
Today after having driven the car quite hard over a mountain pass the knocking became much more severe with juddering apparent particularly in right hand corners.
Pulled over had a look found two of the bolts shorn off completely and the other 3 all loose with only one of them really holding the front left wheel on:eek:.
Recently replaced front pads and discs myself so must be my fault, torqued the bolts to 300nm- is this too tight or loose(I've always done this without issues before)? Right hand side wheel no problem. How does this happen? The torque from heavy braking and accelerating surely isn't enough. They must have slowly loosened themselves and the play back and forth broke them.
Moral of story don't ignore unusual knocks and rattles they might be serious:cry:

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me today. 2 days ago noticed a bit of a knock from front left wheel- checked out the lower A arm mounting bolts were all in place (once had a wishbone snap off at the mounting so always a bit pedantic about checking all bolts are tight & in place), they were fine so wrote off the noise to worn upper A arm bushes.
Today after having driven the car quite hard over a mountain pass the knocking became much more severe with juddering apparent particularly in right hand corners.
Pulled over had a look found two of the bolts shorn off completely and the other 3 all loose with only one of them really holding the front left wheel on:eek:.
Recently replaced front pads and discs myself so must be my fault, torqued the bolts to 300nm- is this too tight or loose(I've always done this without issues before)? Right hand side wheel no problem. How does this happen? The torque from heavy braking and accelerating surely isn't enough. They must have slowly loosened themselves and the play back and forth broke them.
Moral of story don't ignore unusual knocks and rattles they might be serious:cry:
300NM!

300NM!

Are you kidding.

Jesus.

100NM and no more.

·
Registered
13,217 Posts
300NM!

300NM!

Are you kidding.

Jesus.

100NM and no more.
Oops!

I have always done them up using my long bar :D until they "squeak", it's normally about a tenth to a quarter of a turn. Dunno if that's good or bad but, they've never worked themselves loose :thumbs:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Damn fool I am:eek: I must have sheared them off when I put my wheel on after doing the brakes. Probably just been lucky not to have snapped wheel bolts in the past. Thinking about it 30kg of push on a 1m lever is a lot of twist for such thin bolts, my bad. So approx 100nm is the correct torque?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
yes.

100nm is at the top end of the Alfa recommended range and I find it to be ideal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts