Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

When I pull away with full lock steering to the left, or make a very tight left turn in 1st or 2nd gear, (also with full lock steering) , I hear a sound like "clonk" coming from the drivetrain of front suspension. Sometimes it makes a cracking sound, which worries me..
The sounds occurs when I accelerate and turn the steering wheel back to centre postion It does not occur when I drive away in a straight line, so I guess it's not the clutch but may be it has something to do with the steering or FWD parts? (dont know the right english words :) . Any idea?

Greetings from The Hague!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It does not sound familiar? Could it have something to do with de homo-kinetic connection?

Greetings..

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Agree with Bazza on that one, watch you don't round the bolt heads on the bottom of the strut because they're not easy to take out, and don't let the strut drop on the cv joint either as it could quite easily split the rubber gaitor :) Other wise it's pretty striaght forward with a set of spring compressors ;)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot guys, I'll mention this when I have this checked at the workshop :)

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
From recollection of prior web searches this sounds symptomatic of a worn CV joint?

Worth doing a few web searches for clonking, and cv joint and comparing the described symptoms, especially that it only occurs under power with fullish lock.

TB

Taco said:
Hi all,

When I pull away with full lock steering to the left, or make a very tight left turn in 1st or 2nd gear, (also with full lock steering) , I hear a sound like "clonk" coming from the drivetrain of front suspension. Sometimes it makes a cracking sound, which worries me..
The sounds occurs when I accelerate and turn the steering wheel back to centre postion It does not occur when I drive away in a straight line, so I guess it's not the clutch but may be it has something to do with the steering or FWD parts? (dont know the right english words :) . Any idea?

Greetings from The Hague!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts