Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just wanted to share the following - for those who suddenly experience the following symptoms on 2010 Giulietta Cloverleaf (manual transmission):

1. Dead engine starter motor, not turning at all
2. Rest of the accessories work well (locks, lights, air-con-fan, radio, etc..)
3. When trying to start, none of the above accessories seem to lose power
4. A warning check-engine light showing a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the middle (General Warning).

Before deciding to change your battery, check the earth cable. The earth cable is screwed onto the edge of the transmission housing and goes up to another bolt into the chassis/body - and then continues its way up to the battery negative terminal.

Upon inspection, the cable's end that was supposed to be connected to the transmission housing had broken off the copper terminal, probably due to the cable being too short, perhaps a factory defect, see attached image.

To make matters worse, it was a public holiday so no shops were open, so I improvised and re-created a longer terminal using a piece of sheet-copper, which I then clamped and soldered to the broken cable-end.

Plugged everything back in place, and the starter motor worked. Now I simply need to use my Multi ECU Scan to clear off the error code which keeps popping up when the car is started.

Hope this helps,
Jean Carl

Attachments

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I almost had that happen to me.
Luckily my mechanic discovered that a marten had nearly chewed it through while checking the transmission suspension.

But we must be impressed by that feat of engineering: everything works, you just can't start the engine.
On second thought, I think I'd prefer it the other way around...... duuuuh!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wish you had posted this two weeks ago!

Happened to me, but we took the starter motor on & off and changed the battery before we found the cause to be exactly the same as yours!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Luckily my mechanic discovered that a marten had nearly chewed it through while checking the transmission suspension.
That must have been a starving marten!! Resorting to eating ground cables :shocked:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts