Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up a new Veloce this week to replace my 170MA.

What does everyone think about putting Cloverleaf badges on the flanks? Until a couple of months back, Alfa thought this car deserved the badge, but now don't. Would it be wrong to put them on now?

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
Well I'm going to be putting some on my 1.6JTDm Giulietta......

It's about what you want really isn't it??

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Get ready for the haters! I have them on mine and I like them because of the history behind them, but others on here think you are committing some sort of fraud, ie impersonating a GQV.,

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Except it is, or at least was, a QV until recently. The badge has appeared on far more prosaic models including the worst sin of all....diesels!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the thing, the same car before the most recent facelift *was* a QV. They've no QV badged Giulietta anymore at all.

It's even more confusing because my MA was Veloce spec, but that was just a trim level, now the Veloce means the 1750 240BHP engine.

Coming in the new Alfa White, which is beautifully crisp, and the Cloverleaf on it would look lovely. Just not a fan of faking things, if Alfa doesn't think it deserves the badge anymore, is it cheating to put it on?

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Do it!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
It's your car, do what you like.

Don't worry about anyone else :yes:

·
Registered
224 Posts
wonder if the chrome surrounds on side windows can be added as an option for the new Veloce Giuliettas as well. That combined with the QV logo should be very convincing. ;)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
This is from Wikipedia but I've known the history for a long time, Enzo worked for Alfa first and always tipped his hat to a passing Alfa Romeo car on the road.

The quadrifoglio has been used on Alfa Romeo cars since the death of Ugo Sivocci in 1923. As a friend of Enzo Ferrari, Sivocci was hired by Alfa Romeo in 1920 to drive in the three-man works team—Alfa Corse—with Antonio Ascari and Enzo Ferrari. Sivocci was thought to have enormous experience, but often hampered by bad luck and considered the eternal second-placer. To banish his bad luck, when the Targa Florio came around, the driver painted a white square with a green four-leaf clover (the quadrifoglio) in the centre of the grille of his car. Sivocci had immediate success, crossing the finish line first. The quadrifoglio subsequently became the symbol of the racing Alfa Romeos with the victory at the Targa Florio. Almost as if to prove the magic effects of this symbol, Sivocci was killed while testing Merosi's new P1 at Monza, a few months after winning the Targa Florio. The Salerno driver's P1, which went off the track on a bend, did not have the quadrifoglio. Since this period in 1923, the bodies of Alfa Romeo racing cars have been adorned with the quadrifoglio as a lucky charm. The white square was replaced with a triangle in memory of Uvo Sivocci.

It's a lucky charm, and we all need as much luck as we can get, simples!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
542 Posts
This is from Wikipedia but I've known the history for a long time, Enzo worked for Alfa first and always tipped his hat to a passing Alfa Romeo car on the road.

The quadrifoglio has been used on Alfa Romeo cars since the death of Ugo Sivocci in 1923. As a friend of Enzo Ferrari, Sivocci was hired by Alfa Romeo in 1920 to drive in the three-man works team—Alfa Corse—with Antonio Ascari and Enzo Ferrari. Sivocci was thought to have enormous experience, but often hampered by bad luck and considered the eternal second-placer. To banish his bad luck, when the Targa Florio came around, the driver painted a white square with a green four-leaf clover (the quadrifoglio) in the centre of the grille of his car. Sivocci had immediate success, crossing the finish line first. The quadrifoglio subsequently became the symbol of the racing Alfa Romeos with the victory at the Targa Florio. Almost as if to prove the magic effects of this symbol, Sivocci was killed while testing Merosi's new P1 at Monza, a few months after winning the Targa Florio. The Salerno driver's P1, which went off the track on a bend, did not have the quadrifoglio. Since this period in 1923, the bodies of Alfa Romeo racing cars have been adorned with the quadrifoglio as a lucky charm. The white square was replaced with a triangle in memory of Uvo Sivocci.

It's a lucky charm, and we all need as much luck as we can get, simples!

This is the reason both my Giulietta MA has one and my Spider V6 Q4, for a bit of good luck (I hope), although the badges are on the inside (Giulietta on the dash just in front of the DNA switch and on the Spider out of view in the storage compartment under the armrest.)
Its your car at the end of the day, some people probably don't like the look of Alfas styling, didn't stop you buying the car that you liked? The way I look at it, just make sure what you do to it can be removed or put back when the time comes to sell the car to make sure your not limiting your market when the time comes.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm seriously thinking of buying a couple of cloverleaf badges for my car, would I need to take off the VELOCE badge?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I always de-badge no matter what spec. The g is pretty clean as it is, which is quite refreshing.
I had a Mazda 323 turbo once. It had a freakin essay down the side of the car, "16v dohc 4x4 turbo". Fortunately, someone stole it and i was saved from further embarrassment.

·
Registered
36,824 Posts
I think the original badge is too nice to remove but if I was into such things I'd remove the new style badge on my 2017 car. It's not pretty in comparison.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think the original badge is too nice to remove but if I was into such things I'd remove the new style badge on my 2017 car. It's not pretty in comparison.
You're not giving much away here, what badge are we talking about?

For me I am meaning should I take off the wing badges which say VELOCE and replace with a triangular clover badge. My car is afterall a 1750.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I say go for it. I'm with the 'its your car, dont worry about anyone else' crew. While you're at it can I suggest moving the Giulietta badge back to the middle of the tailgate where it should be. Whoever at Alfa made the decision that moving the Giulietta over to the right was a styling upgrade should seriously consider resigning and going to work for Audi, Toyota or some other bland company. I bet it was one of those people who get a new job and feel a need to change things just for the sake of it to justify their job.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts