Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've just set myself up as a registered user after stumbling across this site. I have a 94 2.0 TS (black, bodykit and lowered)which I like, but after previously owning a faster car I'm hankering after something with a bit more power. I haven't had the chance to browse through the tech archive, so apols if this topic has been raised before....has anybody fitted a 2.0 16V turbo engine from a dedra HF turbo? I think its the same bottom end, so mounting it should be simple if I have a donor, gearbox ratios might be different I suspect so I may need the dedra box, struts, hubs and drivesahfts should just bolt in....Anybody done this before or know of any hidden snags? I've got an insurance quote and its not too bad....

Also, my 8V 2.0 has a bit of a clatter at idle. Read about clatter caused by failed electric variators on 16V 2.0's, but a guy who claims to know about alfa's told me mine doesn't have VVT. Thought I read somewhere the 8V has a basic hydraulic system? Don't know much about Vtec as I've never encountered it before and I don't have a book on this engine. Anybody shed any light? Could just be a noisy alt I suppose?

Cheers

J

·
0 Posts
you should have a variator but its under the valve cover..they are in fact mechanical not electric. hf into a 155 yeh its called a Q4.!dont know if anyone has done it..wrinx.??BTW its not vtec thats what honda call it.

W

·
0 Posts
Hi Dunc

Welcome :D

Not heard of anyone doing this conversion, but why go to all that trouble when you can get a Q4? Ok, its left hand drive but basically the same.

There would be a fair amount to change including the ECU and loads of wiring!!!

Is your car chipped or modified in any other way?

wrinx

F

·
0 Posts
I guess a FWD 2.0 turbo would be bl00dy quick... it won't have the 80bhp drag the Q4 has on the transmission, but torque steer... I dread to think wink

W

·
0 Posts
wrinx:

There would be a fair amount to change including the ECU and loads of wiring!!!
..........add to the list.........tyres, and lots of them!!!

wrinx

·
Registered
715 Posts
A transmission tunnel might be required too!!

20v turbo Fiat engine will fit.
Never heard of a 3.0 V6 24v in one though

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies,

My alfa is a black 94 TS, but a previous owner has kitted it out like a Sport Pack, but it is not the wide track version. Ive tried to attach a picky of an identical car below. My car looks exactly the same (same bodykit), but I have 5 spoke black speedlines. It has a powerflow stainless exhaust, Eibach handling kit, koni adj. (rear) and a black momo racing line wheel. Interior is grey cloth. I bought it with a V low mileage a year or so back. I have not added a chip or a filter as I have been toying with the turbo idea.
I've never seen a reasonably priced Q4, and I think I could do this conversion MUCH more cheaply using a dead dedra. Secondly, my alfa's handling has already been sorted, its in near mint condition as it has a low mileage and it already has a large diameter exhaust.
What I'm looking for is for other guys who are familiar with the 155 to suggest potential problems that I perhaps haven't yet considered, before I embark on buying a scrap Dedra T and pulling it to bits. I don't think I would need to modify the trans tunnel as the gearbox on a 2wd dedra turbo looks to be similar to the ones on our cars.
Also, on the variator subject, can a faulty variator on a 2.0 8V cause a nasty rattle at idle?

Cheers guys!

hmm, can't work out how to attach the jpeg from my hard disk.....any suggestions?

F

·
0 Posts
The mechanic at Paxton garage wnats to convert my 155 to a 16v Lancia engine, the engine/gearbox will drop straight onto the suspension apprently, he reckons its a weekend job. Mind you he fixes integrale's for a living so he has had plenty of experience, hes even got a 300 bhp lancia thema engine that he threatens to put in my engine bay when he services the 155.

How much the insurance would be a dread to think

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for a 26 year old, living in Sutton (london) it was £630 3rd party, with a dedra turbo unit and 185bhp. Thats not too bad for London.....

F

·
0 Posts
As long as you are staying with 2wd there should be no major problems fitting the lancia gear. As far as I've heard its a bolt in job. The only problem I can see is space for the turbo & manifold in the front of the engine bay. Though I guess it's not really that much of a problem.

Have fun & let us know how the convestion goes.. 300bhp & 2wd's gotta be a laugh!

A

F

·
0 Posts
The 300 BHP Thema is daft, the whole car flexes and drifts around the road at 140+ mph. Howard wnats to put the engine in a 155 as it is a better chassis etc, when i have the Eibach antiroll bars fitted i might be able to lend it, see what its like ...

P

·
0 Posts
Don't bother going for the 20vt engine from a coupe, go for the 16vt engine from the coupe, it should be a bolt in conversion as the front subframe area of that generation of fiat/alfa/lancia cars is the same. Just need to sort the gearbox linkage, ecu and away you go.

Steve

J

·
0 Posts
the 20v turbo is a million million miles better than the crappy old 16v.its so smooth you could sleep on the rocker cover at 150mph and not feel a thing.(a bit warm maybe).i would almost bet that the subframes are the same on the 20v and 16v.

N

·
0 Posts
Hmmmmmm

250-300 HP to the front wheels????

thats got to burn rubber!!! I bet at a red light any car with back wheel drive and some decent HP like 200+ will beat the 155, due to better traction..

what do you people think?

Nicholas

M

·
0 Posts
I also thinking of find a scrap coupe 16v turbo engine & gearbox to replace my 8v engine. Because here in Hong Kong alfa never sell 16v or Q4 :(
This should be the only way (cheaper way) to turn-up my 155 :D

As Steve said it should be a bolt in conversion ! Is the gearbox also ? How about the Hubs & console :confused:

One more stupie question, can I put a Q4 engine cover in fiat engine :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts