Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just test driven the car and it felt ok, 31,000 miles and full service history, though I have not actually looked at this yet - hoping to take someone with me soon. I am concerned about the cambelt and they said 5 years before it needs changing, car registered March 2012. Just a bit nervous to sign up really and I'm not going to be getting the bonnet open or any of that stuff as I don't really know what I am looking for. It is a well known dealership but could I ask any more? I also did a hpi check and the unit stocking outstanding finance warning came up, but upon reading most people say this is normal for a car on a dealer's lot and not to worry too much. Any last minute advice to talk me off the cliff would be useful.:paranoid:

·
Registered
636 Posts
just test driven the car and it felt ok, 31,000 miles and full service history, though I have not actually looked at this yet - hoping to take someone with me soon. I am concerned about the cambelt and they said 5 years before it needs changing, car registered March 2012. Just a bit nervous to sign up really and I'm not going to be getting the bonnet open or any of that stuff as I don't really know what I am looking for. It is a well known dealership but could I ask any more? I also did a hpi check and the unit stocking outstanding finance warning came up, but upon reading most people say this is normal for a car on a dealer's lot and not to worry too much. Any last minute advice to talk me off the cliff would be useful.:paranoid:
If it has outstanding finance on the HPI - make sure the dealer gives you a letter from the old finance company stating they have no further interest in the car before money changes hands. Until the dealer gets this, they don't have the right to sell the car (unless they provided the finance, then I'd ask why it's still showing on HPI). When I part-ex'd my last car, the dealer wouldn't touch it until I gave them this letter - they, and finance companies, are used to this, so it shouldn't be a problem.

As for the cam belt, officially it's 5 years, or 4 years if it's used mostly around town, etc. Most people (myself included) say get it done after 4 years. It might be a good negotiation point to get the belt and water pump done as part of the sale.

You don't need to open the bonnet, but it'd be a good idea to look through some of the recent "I'm thinking of buying" threads, as they'll have a few things to look out for - most of which you could check on a 2-3 minute test drive around the block.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it has outstanding finance on the HPI - make sure the dealer gives you a letter from the old finance company stating they have no further interest in the car before money changes hands. Until the dealer gets this, they don't have the right to sell the car (unless they provided the finance, then I'd ask why it's still showing on HPI). When I part-ex'd my last car, the dealer wouldn't touch it until I gave them this letter - they, and finance companies, are used to this, so it shouldn't be a problem.

As for the cam belt, officially it's 5 years, or 4 years if it's used mostly around town, etc. Most people (myself included) say get it done after 4 years. It might be a good negotiation point to get the belt and water pump done as part of the sale.

You don't need to open the bonnet, but it'd be a good idea to look through some of the recent "I'm thinking of buying" threads, as they'll have a few things to look out for - most of which you could check on a 2-3 minute test drive around the block.
Thanks Bri_Y this has been very helpful:thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts