Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently (last week or so) I've been getting a clonk-clonk noise from what sounds like the front drivers side wheel area. It only happens when I change down from third to second a relatively low speed and it kinda jerks the front of the car down and the back up (if you get what I mean).

I'm worried it could be something I've done, recently I've changed engine/gearbox oil and both front discs/pads.

Additionally autolusso/daysmk have told me that both front lower wishbones need replacing, also it was pointed out to me that the engine mount under (centre) of the car needs replacing 'at some point' *and* the driveshaft on that side was originally completely loose (nuts were finger tight at best) and you can clonk it side to side slightly. However that's been like that for a couple of months in my care and not done this before.

Wishbones are getting done today, any suggestions (with examples.. I'm not very experienced so 'check the xxx' is difficult as I dont always know what it's supposed to be like!)

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
you doing the wishbones yourself?? it isn't too hard, but if you do a search, i believe there is a giude on here somewhere, or a link to one. it is for a fiat coupe, but it is much the same to be honest. just watch your fingers, and be careful not to cross thread the bolts holding the wishbones on! i will see if i can find the guide, but a bit busy at work so might be a while......

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I'm getting DaysMK to do the wishbones. Pretty good all-in price and they can pick it up and drop it off to my work. I feel 'safer' knowing someone competent put those vital things in place :)

Maybe when I've had a bit (read lot) more experience I'd give it a go and if this was not my only car, but I wanted to get them done now so it's time for a little needed expense here. I figure I've saved myself £250-350 in garage fees so far so a little peace of mind is worth it.

I read that guide before.. that's part of the reason I decided to get someone else to do it :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
yeah wishbones probably not for the GTV novice. It could be your top dogbone engine mount. Other thing that causes a clonk is the ARB droplinks.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok wishbones done, went out for a quick spin around the roundabouts of Milton Keynes, apart from the car feeling much tighter and less 'wobbly' when going round a nice right on a roundabout, the main clonk appears to have gone. I still have a secondary clonk from the middle of the car when changing down a gear (worst from 3rd to 2nd). Sometimes louder, sometimes not really noticable.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Ok wishbones done, went out for a quick spin around the roundabouts of Milton Keynes, apart from the car feeling much tighter and less 'wobbly' when going round a nice right on a roundabout, the main clonk appears to have gone. I still have a secondary clonk from the middle of the car when changing down a gear (worst from 3rd to 2nd). Sometimes louder, sometimes not really noticable.
Does the gearstick rock around? There is a tie rod, top left hand side of the engine, if the bushes on this are shot, the engine will rock forwards and backwards.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Umm had a quick look while driving slowish round the cul-de-sac, the gearstick seems to rock quite a bit left/right on acceleration, going out in a bit will test some more.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok the gearstick does not really have that much movement, small left/right movement on acelleration but nothing huge. I can feel the clunk on changing downgear through the clutch pedal (but it does not happen all the time.. usually slow speed down from third to second).

Alfa Quirk or something more?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts