Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a long time I've had a niggle that I think is with the front brakes. I get a really loud clicking noise, sometimes a bit more of a clonk, from the front of the car. It's most noticeable when pulling away, and I get a series of 3 or 4 loud clicks in quick succession. With the windows down, I've noticed that it only happens when I first apply the brakes, and then again when reapplying some throttle right after using the brakes.

The logical diagnosis to me is that it's the pads moving about in the calipers. Is it a common problem? Anyone else had this?

Only thing that makes me question my diagnosis is the fact that the noise is identical to a problem I had a while back. The exact same clicking noise, but it was my n/s driveshaft bolts working loose. The clicking had been intermitant at the start and then became constant at low speed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Can you feel anything through the pedal? I had a VW Golf that had a dodgy wheel bearing which made the ABS magnetic sensor malfunction and activate the ABS at low speed.!!??

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, nothing through the pedal.

I did find an old topic from Pomeo, which I just about managed to understand some of. Being married to a Scot helps to some extent, but he's still largely un-decipherable! :lol: Seems he had the same problem and his pads were worn down past the limit. I'll check mine out but I'd be surprised if that's the case with mine as it still pulls up fine (although the brakes have a very wooden feel), and MacClellans never advised me of pads being near their limit when they serviced it about a thousand miles ago (during which time they stripped and cleaned the brakes).

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
No, nothing through the pedal.

I did find an old topic from Pomeo, which I just about managed to understand some of. Being married to a Scot helps to some extent, but he's still largely un-decipherable! :lol: Seems he had the same problem and his pads were worn down past the limit. I'll check mine out but I'd be surprised if that's the case with mine as it still pulls up fine (although the brakes have a very wooden feel), and MacClellans never advised me of pads being near their limit when they serviced it about a thousand miles ago (during which time they stripped and cleaned the brakes).
:confused:.com:)

nae wunner yee canne unnersaun it laddie if yee were yasing yer wife tae translate awe mah posts nae wunner she wuz:confused:

twas mah bestest Engrish tae...I canne unnestawn it maesell noo.:cheese:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...ick-alfas-audible-worn-brake-pad-warning.html

Pomeo;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts