Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulia Q4 Veloce 2017
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ciao tutti!
Noticed that the MAF sensor (between airbox and turbo) is really cloggy with oily dirt at the connections to the inlet. See attached photo. Where is that coming from? Airfilter is dry and clean. Is it blowing oilmist backwards from turbo?? Is this normal and standard to clean it now and then or is something going south?

Engine runs fine mostly but sometimes, specially with cold engine I can feel a small "hickup" under acceleration. No oilconsumption or abnormal milage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you got an aftermarket air box?
Nope, all original.

I google some photos of inlet hose for Giulietta JTDM and must have missed the crankcase ventilation connection just
before it connects to the turbo.:read: Strange placement when it seems the MAF is pretty sensitive for dirt.
Now I´m less worried about where the oilmist come from but shouldn´t it be more airthight connection there?

Anyway now my bella is at the workshop for some service and question raised about the MAF.
Will see what the verdict is from the authorized Alfa workshop mechanics and report back here. :teacher:

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
Mine has a small amount of oil there as well.

Seems to be pretty normal, I wouldn't worry about it if the car isn't using oil.

The small hiccup may be down to the egr valve opening and closing.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I posted about this before, and as is the case now its considered normal. I did think about getting some new clips then realised I'd rather have oily residue on the outside of the pipe than building up on the inside and worse, dripping back onto my air filter...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, thank you all for input on this case.
Seems its normal condition then!
But I don´t think its supposed to be leaking air on the inlet anyhow.
I think the MAF sensor give more correct signals to ECU if its airtight.
But I don´t think its noticable more than in my head...:paranoid:

Got my bella back from workshop and they also says is normal.

BUT the workshop had not change air filter and coupé filter but took payment for it!!:censored::furious:
I´m very sure about this cause I marked the filters before and could have done
the service myself but wanted a proper stamp in the servicebook. That was not worth it!
Mailed them a complaint and hope for proper compensation plus new filters that I will change myself.

Do not trust your workshop! At least demand them to show old changed parts when you leave your Alfa for service...:paranoid::punch:

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
The amount of air sucked in through the tiny gap would be minimal compared to the air sucked in through the air filter.

If you have a 2 litre normally aspirated 4 cylinder 4 stroke engine it will suck in almost 1 litre of air per revolution.

Even at Idle that is around 350 litres per minute or 5.8 litres per second.

Add a turbo and a few more RPM and that small leak becomes very insignificant. Especially when you consider the MAF is likely have a small tolerance as well.

Leaks on the positive pressure side of the turbo are another matter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts