Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The silver fox has been a bit tempramental of late all pointing to the EGR valve. I took the valve off and it was choked to within an inch of its life. The inlet manifold appears to be pretty gummed up and i'm wondering if there is any easy way to clean it. I am pretty technical but having read posts on the forum about replacing the inlet manifold it seems like a pig of a job. So my question to those in the know is are there any easier ways to give this a clean such as something like Halfords 10K Boost Diesel Engine Power Restorer or are they just a gimmick?

If its worth a squirt where would this be sprayed?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Hi, there is no way of cleaning it properly whilst still fitted.
I recently changed the manifold on my 1.9 due to wear in the swirl valves and the rod kept coming off. Once it was off I was amazed at how sooted up it was, there was bid hard lumps around the second ports with the valves in and the danger would be if you cleaned it in place some of these lumps would drop into the cylinders or hold a valve open with disastrous consequence.

The manifolds are about £160 but the bad news is its a 6 hour job to change as the fuel pump has to come off.
The new manifolds are modified to stop the problem of wear in the swirl valves and actuating rod.
I'm glad I changed mine as it drove much better with the new manifold

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - That was my fear. Without taking the manifold off i have no idea the extent of how clogged it might be. From the look of where the manifold joins the egr it was pretty nasty! Did you use a how to guide?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Hi, no but I did do a bit of reading up on it., mostly on vauxhall forums..
It is the same engine and manifold as the vectra and saab, in fact I used a manifold advertised for a vectra, it is the same pierburg part number and so identical in every way but £60 cheaper than the same number sold for Alfas.
A few people said it was possible to leave the fuel pump in place, it isnt as one of the pump studs also had to come off.
I did learn that instead of removing the cam belt the pump pulley can be bolted to the back plate so keeping the tension on the belt whilst the pump is removed. I did it this way as I had changed the belt only weeks earlier, I marked the belt against the pulleys just to check it didnt jump but it was fine.
If you are handy with a set of spanners and comfortable doing a timing belt then it is something you could do at home as it is an £800 plus job at a stealer

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ive modded the plastic clips on the swirl flap bar by cutting a cross in each with a hacksaw, then making some some small close fitting rings that fit around the outside. The bar now stays on, but its leaking boost from the swirl flap on cylinder one.

How much improvement did you notice after changing the manifold, was it £160 worth? LOL. What was your average MPG before and after? Whats the acceleration like before and after?

Also did you change the actuator or use the original one? I hear that they learn and are programmed to the original manifold. I assume that as long as they rotates 90degrees then its fine!

Also do you need any special tools?

Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
just a thought but doesn't BG44K, fuel additive help with removing this carbon build up?? there are about 2 threads on this topic.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
just a thought but doesn't BG44K, fuel additive help with removing this carbon build up?? there are about 2 threads on this topic.
No fuel additive will clean the inlet manifold on a diesel, the fuel doesnt go anywhere near the manifold.
And do you really want your engine sucking in big lumps of it

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Ive modded the plastic clips on the swirl flap bar by cutting a cross in each with a hacksaw, then making some some small close fitting rings that fit around the outside. The bar now stays on, but its leaking boost from the swirl flap on cylinder one.

How much improvement did you notice after changing the manifold, was it £160 worth? LOL. What was your average MPG before and after? Whats the acceleration like before and after?

Also did you change the actuator or use the original one? I hear that they learn and are programmed to the original manifold. I assume that as long as they rotates 90degrees then its fine!

Also do you need any special tools?

Thanks
I notice quite a difference, the car starts better, feels more responsive and is better on fuel.
I was planning on having it remapped and so wanted a sound engine to start with, it was remapped soon after I changed the manifold but now averages 45 on the trip which is about 43mpg and on a few long journeys showed about 55mpg which isnt far off.

Yes I think it was money well spent, I'm planning on keeping the car for a while so might as well get it done now and enjoy the benefits of it rather than putting it off.

No I dint change the actuator, I'd heard they 'learn' each manifold but how different can each manifold be? it wasnt showing any faults so I used the old one and its been fine.

When it was remapped the egr valve was disabled so the manifold should stay clear in the future

·
Registered
361 Posts
would it be harmful to the engine to say for example remove the tmap sensor, run the engine. let it idle, and then spray cleaner into the inlet manifold.

not sure if the car would start with the tmap out of place?

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I appreciate it's a big cost on its own, is it a big add on if you are getting your cam belt done?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
896 Posts
Thanks - That was my fear. Without taking the manifold off i have no idea the extent of how clogged it might be. From the look of where the manifold joins the egr it was pretty nasty! Did you use a how to guide?
If you get hold of an endoscope of some sort your be able to look into the manifold to see how bad it is.
Sealey do one about 100 quid. I think there is some sort of USBcamera on a long stork that is ccheaper
Water / methonol injection might work to clean it, but problem is where does all the crap GO. Through the engine not good. Have a look at YouTube . some people on their use water slowly poured in the inlet ??????
While car is reving . don,t think I would could wreck the. Engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts