Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Clio 138? The perfect 'non' hot hatch, hot hatch?

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Scudetto 
#1 ·
On a base level, a Clio 192 would make an obvious replacement for my C172. But...

Some time ago, when my Clio was in for a repair, Renault loaned me a Clio 1.4 (don't laugh; you're lucky to get a pogo-stick from Renault).

It wasn't fast, but neither was it hopeless. It coped with the m-way without any 'oh my God I'm going to die' moments, and had ample grunt to cope with the ebb and flow of the traffic.

Through corners, it showed the same inherent balance, precise steering and strong brakes of the C172. But is did without the he-man steering, the rough-as ride, the peaky engine, the BOOM BOOM BOOM engine and the BANG BANG BANG over bumps. 'This', I thought, 'is the car I should have bought'. Because day to day, for 99% of the driving I do, it really doesn't give anything to my C172.

And now, Renault offers the Clio 138. It is a 2.0, with 138bhp. But get this; performance-wise, it's torquier (thus more useable) engine means it's only fractions slower than the new C192; it attacks corners with the same stability and aplomb (alebit with more roll). In short, day to day, it will be every bit as fast as a C192, but much more comfortable, more fluid, cost less to buy, run, insure and maintain.

Which makes me think...I can't be the only person who wants a fast, agile, comfortable small hatch that doesn't batter you senseless every second you drive it...when everyone else is travelling just as fast but with much less pain and a whole heap more comfort...and at less cost.

So I wonder... is the C138 more of an alternative to the C172 than the C192 is?

g

See less See more
#3 ·
i did boss, and i loved every second of it, bar the ride. it was like being in a washing machine during the fast spin cycle :eek: :D

t'was huge fun, mind :)

g

#8 ·
Doesn't sound mad at all, but apparently they've sorted out the ride tremendously on the new sport models. Maybe give the top line model a second chance?

But for a daily driver there's no shame in the 'C138'.

#9 ·
Scudetto, I tried to PM you, but maybe you're full up? I have something you'll find usefull.

#12 ·
So I wonder... is the C138 more of an alternative to the C172 than the C192 is?
A true story: A few days ago I was cruising back home along the A55 at an indicated 80ish mph (which I'm sure is really 70mph officer :D).

Anyway, I got overtaken by an old Peugeot 205 - I'm not sure what model it was, but it definitely wasn't a GTi - it whizzed by though.

Sure, I could have put my foot down, and ultimately I would have been able to overtake him, but then I really didn't want to have to drive at 110mph just to make a point.

The thing is - unless you're willing to drive like a lunatic all the time (and with the number of speed camera's on the increase how long would your license last) - the lower performance models are usually perfectly adequate for 99% of the time.

To be honest I wished I had a bit more poke in my GTV, but that's because I like the sensation of acceleration. I'm not sure that the 138 clio will really be that much slower than your 172 though :)

#13 ·
Precisely my thinking. And as long as it's sparky enough on those rare moments I do want to play, then that could be problem solved :)

g

#14 ·
how shallow am I? Less the 24hours after Pups left home, I was back at Trade Sales checking out a new Clio 192 they have there. Not that I'm superficial *cough* or anything, but it looked fabulous! An absolute beast in silver (red is not a good colour for it). Plus, they're flipping massive!

Oh God, and onl yesterday I was toying with the idea of GTV V6. Bugger.

g

#16 ·
So, have you bought a new car then?

#18 ·
No, not yet Gary. I'm in no great rush to be honest. Plus I want to win two new bits of business first, and if I get them, it will be treat time :)

Meantime, I've got to be sure about what my car strategy should be. I have an idea of what I'd like it to be, but just need to be sure it wil work. But all in good time, all in good time :)

g

#17 ·
I agree with G.. But the only problem with these "warm" versions is that they always come with a "Granny" ("sensible") interior, like it's the one intended for your dad.

Fiat have the right idea with the "Sporting" concept. Same style as the hot-poop version but with the real-world-as-good "Light" mechanicals.

Go for a Panda 100 or that Punto dude... you must've had enough of that rattly old Renoort stuff by now.

Ralf S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.