Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Sadly already been informed...about losing my job :(

Votes: 2 5.6%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2009 will be an interesting year....apparently a qtr of business's surveyed are saying that they will look to cut jobs next year :(

So are you safe ??

Personally I really don't have a clue whether this time next year I will have a job or not :confused: :(

What about you - how's your business fairing??

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Im not 100% sure of my job as i work in residential construction; but i know for a fact that i dont have to worry about it until feb 09 if the worst happens and i get made redundant.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I work for a very large company and they are well set to ride an economic down turn. That said, it of course depends on how long it lasts. We also have several smaller sites that would close long before we did. So yes I am pretty confident of still having my job this time next year.

·
Registered
38,275 Posts
I am ok, at least for the time being.

The night shift would be first to go anyway, they earn the most.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
i'm self employed within a small business in financial services. we're definitely feeling the pinch but our overheads are fairly low and we run the place very sharply so there's no slack to drag us down. we'll survive the crunch no doubt, we'll make sure of it. when conditions get better again (which they will) we'll be very well placed to bring in loads of new business as a lot of our competitors won't survive until then

for the time being i'm just tightening my belt wherever possible (3 foreign holidays last year, none this year etc etc) and reducing my debts.

i wouldn't like to be employed though, my job depending on somebody else's decision

D

·
0 Posts
I work in the water industry so it's not affected by swings in the market place. People will always need clean and safe drinking water at the same rate as they needed it last year, and the year before, and when people are done with it, it's all got to go somewhere to get cleaned up and back into the sea eventually. We run on a 5 year cycle of planned upgrades and maintenance to water works, based on what the consumers pay in their water rates so we're pretty safe here the water industry. It wasn't a childhood dream to be a water engineer but now I realise it's a stable industry and I'm kind of glad I got into it. She works behind the scenes in education and uni funding so her job is pretty stable too.

A surprise £10m and another £8m job landed on our desks last week and we're wondering where all the engineers are going to come from to staff it in the new year. Going to get very busy soon by the look of it!

I'm a young(ish) lad saving for a wedding will probably mean no holiday next year but after just getting my engineering chartership the salary should go up nicely along with interest rates dropping on the mortgage and fuel getting cheaper by the day. I love this recession. Hopefully we can pay for the wedding and maybe upsize the house in a few years if the housing market's properly fallen over and buy a nice big repossession for next to nothing. The future's looking rosey!

·
Administrator
46,137 Posts
There are plenty of people here who would go before I did I reckon, so I'm reasonably happy that I'll be OK.

D

·
0 Posts
Are you retired Bazza? You're thinking cat first, then the kids, then the wife, and lastly the Alfa :D

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
im reasonably sure ill still have a job, we dont have spare resources so any fewer people than we have now and nothing will get done.

we just hear about issues in our industry from our memers and then try to help/advise them, being the society of the uk motor industry

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
well I have just landed a new job come January so I am ok for 3 years at least.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
The world needs Oil so hopefully I'll be OK :)

And this place just landed the full field development of the contract I'm currently on, which should mean 10 years work :eek: :D

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
I'm in the building industry, our branch's sales rep has been made redundant, and things are looking tight IMO, but I think I'll still be here come November next year :thumbs:

H

·
0 Posts
We've lost our night shift, but some of our competitors have closed whole Facilities :(

We'll survive as I'm not aware of anything that will replace PCB's in the near future.

Will I still be with the same company who can tell every work place needs an Anally retentive clip board waving H&S Anorak :thumbs:

·
Registered
43,564 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Im down to a 4 day week and it looks like its going to get worse before it gets better ,had 4 lots of lays offs already this year and now company has just started phase 5, lots of people are worried about their jobs ,not a nice situation at the moment:cry:

D

·
0 Posts
Just thinking myself lucky they can't import cheaply made inferior quality water from China ... yet.

H

·
0 Posts
Fortunately, my job is about as safe as they come. Highy trained, essential staff in an essential industry. Also a qualified instructor driver (and we've recently taken on new staff, despite the economic downturn)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I work in a very small company building, selling, and fixing pc's. I have been here for little over 3 years and i when i started all was good. However, at the start of this year it all started to go pear shaped. We have got one guy leaving today with the possibility of more to follow fairly quickly. My one saving grace is that i pretty much do all the ****ing work in the workshop as well as all the deliveries the company need to make so i am hoping i would be one of the last to get the boot. Time will tell i guess.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts