Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I have just purchased my first Alfa, an 55 GT 1.9JTD, grea what a car. However I am now experiencing my first alfa problem!
When I enter the car and insert the key to ignition I on occasions, more often than not get the warning about possible ice on the road, yesterday it was 25 degrees outside! This means the climate controls will not work, phew it was uncomfortable yesterday. On the occasions where it reads accurately if a window is pressed the outside temp resets and will then read -20 degrees before settling down to about -3.
This is frustrating having just spent all my pocketmoney!
It doesn't matter which door window switch is pressed. They all seem to beep and cause the same problem.
Your help and advice would be very welcome before my first trip to a garage!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm not that clever on these things but I know that mine was doing similar things and it was the connection between the N/S door and the body. This connects to the temp sensor on the N/S wing mirror. Sometimes if the connector becomes loose it can affect the sensor. Mine was showing -20 as well and subsequently blasting out hot air.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
May sound silly but I've discovered that if you diisconnect the battery for an hour some of these nuiances just disappear, worth a try..............................

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, some great suggestions thanks. Is the sensor the nipple under the door mirror? If so mine is on the offside? Have I got the right bit?
How so I check the connection? Do I need to remove the door pannel?
Would disconnecting the bat affect anything other than the radio code?
I'm addicted to this forum too. Great.

R

·
0 Posts
Thats exactly it.:thumbs: Hold it with your fingers and see if the temp goes up. It's probably got some corrosion on a connector somewhere that's limiting current or voltage. I'm not sure what sort of device it is but you get to feel a nipple!!!:cheese:
On the radio front, my car has never needed recoding despite numerous disconnections, I think as long as it's the original radio it seems to know its home via the CANbus, but mines a 147??

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Thats exactly it.:thumbs: Hold it with your fingers and see if the temp goes up. It's probably got some corrosion on a connector somewhere that's limiting current or voltage. I'm not sure what sort of device it is but you get to feel a nipple!!!:cheese:
On the radio front, my car has never needed recoding despite numerous disconnections, I think as long as it's the original radio it seems to know its home via the CANbus, but mines a 147??
On more modern alfa's the radio is twinned with the ECU ...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Between the door and the body (between the hinges) is a loom with a blue connector with a twist lock. Unlock this and the plug should pull out from the socket. Make sure all the connections are clean and corrosion free.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, so got it home. Had a hot time as I needed to wind down the window to pay a toll on a bridge! Its strange, when the car has been left for say 20 mins with the ignition off and the keys removed, upon return i find the sensor will work again, until the windows are touched.
Ive striped down the mirror, the sensor looked ok, the wires were intact with no obvious splits or loose connections. i tried the connection from the mirror to the door, all good, then the connection on the door to the body, again all looked good. So i think the problem is elsewhere. Also as if the passenger touches the window or me the driver the same problem occurs.
So any other tips please??? ?
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK still have the problem.. its annoying as its been so hot and the air con just doesnt work.
Is there any way to re-calibrate the outside temp control sensor? If i leave my fingers on it then it will go up a couple of degrees but from -18 thats nowt.
HELP!
Ta

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Returning it to seller to investigate as has bother when looking at it. Hope they can get their mechanic to fix it as I love the car. His mechanic told me to also check the plugs into the body computer ones red, the other black where the inside fuses are. I see another chap ben has the same issue as me. Windows reset the temp, hot air all the time and no air con. Recently the cruise control has stopped working too. The green light pops on for a milli second, then off. Tried the switches on the pedals but ok sure all these problems are linked. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not looking good im afraid.
They had the car for 3 days and could not diagnose the problem. They hooked up the computer and when the windows were pressed it showed the temp going up yet the display showed it dropping??
They think its a wiring problem that could be any where. so ive got to take it to a local garage for them to replace many sensors, one by one until the problem can be found. My other electrics have started to play up now. my heated seats just turn on when they like... not good when its 30 degrees out side!
damn electrics.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
tbh sounds like you've got an earth problem ...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine was similar. Usually an indication that the battery is on it's way out but can be just after rain. Have you had VDC and ABS failure yet/

regards
dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No other warnings at all.. all clear.. just electrics play funny games on you.

Battery seems fine, green light on it. Checked the voltage when switched off then started it, not much difference.

Any obvious places i can check the earth? i know the battery holds one, anywhere else?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok problem solved thanks to lyles! New door window switches required. All good now. New pedal switches fir the cruise to work again. Thanks guys. Nice to enjoy the alfa with less worry, just hope the cambelr holds for another 5 k till I get it serviced!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts