Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm pretty sure my Climate control should work better than this!

Heats up and keeps the cabin at the required temp, working harder when increasing the temp dial etc.

But the last couple of days in the nice weather it does not seem to cool at all.

This is the first time i have needed to cool down the cabin since i've only had the car from late 2008 but climate control i've had in previous cars have always kept me nicely refrigerated!

At the moment when set to auto and a low temp setting it is working very hard, making a lot of noise and blowing out warm air, doesn't get any cooler after time.

I'm assuming re-gassing of some kind is needed, just never needed doing on any other car i've had!!:confused:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi all,

I'm pretty sure my Climate control should work better than this!

Heats up and keeps the cabin at the required temp, working harder when increasing the temp dial etc.

But the last couple of days in the nice weather it does not seem to cool at all.

This is the first time i have needed to cool down the cabin since i've only had the car from late 2008 but climate control i've had in previous cars have always kept me nicely refrigerated!

At the moment when set to auto and a low temp setting it is working very hard, making a lot of noise and blowing out warm air, doesn't get any cooler after time.

I'm assuming re-gassing of some kind is needed, just never needed doing on any other car i've had!!:confused:

Certainly sounds like a lackof gas. It its empty the compressor won't kick in at all - does the button on the dashboard with the little snowflake on light up at all?

There isn't a DIY fix for this I'm afraid - at the minimum it'll need a pressure test and re-gas. As you bought the car late last year you don't know what state it was in before so you're dealing with an unknown quantity.

Best thing I can suggest is to take it to kwik-fit - they have an automated machine that does a basic pressure test and top up. If your system is shagged and it won't take a top-up then you don't pay - at least then you know for certain and can take it to a proper a/c engineer.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The 156 is notorious for having poor air con. I had 2 including one from new so i should know :)
Re gassing will help but only by about 10-20% probably

·
Registered
123 Posts
If the fan is making a lot of noise, but not much air is coming out, perhaps the pollen filter is blocked (assuming the 156 has a pollen filter?). This was the case on various old 164s I had and cleaning/replacing the filter made a huge difference.

·
Registered
245 Posts
156 Aircon etc.

I just bought a 156 with poor-performing aircon. I took it to Kwik-Fit this morning who reported no leaks. It had 150 KG gas, which they charged to 500 KG, but performance still hasn't improved. Also, there is very little air moving through the face level vents.

I want to check the cabin filter - can someone direct me to it? The owners handbook doesn't help; it says it's a dealer job. I had a look at the filter catalogue in Halfords and it indicates the filter is in the footwell, but the parts CD indicates the scuttle. Also, are there one or two filters?

The indicator light isn't flashing on start up to show a fault as indicated in the handbook.

Could the lack of air to face level vents be the stepper motors? I know these are notorious in 164s (although I never had a problem with them).

To their credit, Kwik-Fit didn't charge for the regassing.

A couple of other questions while I'm at it:
  1. can anybody tell me how to change the lamp in the temperature knob?
  2. The red alarm light on the dashboard is flashing all of the time - is this a fault and how do I investigate?
  3. The car only came with one key - where can I get another?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've had a poke around the system and there is no power to the lead to the compressor. I can't find my multimeter right now (I had it yesterday so it hasn't gone far). Relay is clicking as I take it in and out and fuses are intact. I suspect a bad connection or broken cable somewhere.

Can anyone send me a wiring diagram of the climate control system? Car ia a 98 V6.

Thanks,

Mark

C

·
0 Posts
The pollen filter is located under the scuttle on the passenger side if it's a pre interior facelift and is a single piece filter. If you have a facelift interior (with the dual zone climate control) then the filters are located under the dash behind the glovebox and it's a two piece filter.

There is a guide to changing bulbs in the temp knobs here: Fun starts @ 3000!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks Craig. I found the filter - it was as black as Captain Cat's eyes, covered in leaf debris and had been turned over so was little better on the reverse! I've ordered one from Shop 4 Parts. The centre vents have come back to life. I don't know of this is a consequence of removing the filter as they didn't work in recirculation mode either, maybe it is another Alfa electrics mystery.

Temp knob bulbs looks like a fun job for a rainy day - thanks for sending the link. Now what I need help with is the lack of power to the A/C compresssor.

C

·
0 Posts
Not really sure on the power to the AC.

You could check the pressure switch to see if it's working ok

D

·
0 Posts
Thanks Craig. I found the filter - it was as black as Captain Cat's eyes, covered in leaf debris and had been turned over so was little better on the reverse! I've ordered one from Shop 4 Parts. The centre vents have come back to life. I don't know of this is a consequence of removing the filter as they didn't work in recirculation mode either, maybe it is another Alfa electrics mystery.

Temp knob bulbs looks like a fun job for a rainy day - thanks for sending the link. Now what I need help with is the lack of power to the A/C compresssor.
The pollen filter should only be fitted the correct way round - there should be an arrow pointing in the air-flow direction.

May well be why the vents has came back to life

·
Registered
245 Posts
This morning, I pulled the relay and bridged the HC terminals and the compressor kicked in. I verified there was 12V across the LC terminals, so then assumed it was the relay. Then, when I put the relay back in it worked! I did swap relays over yesterday to no effect.

Either something was holding it off and has now released it (maybe that pressure switch), there's an issue with the internal temperature sensor (it's a bit warmer out today than yesterday), or it's just Alfa electrical wierdness.

C

·
0 Posts
Could well be the relay connections - it's not exactly in the greatest location to avoid getting crap sprayed under it which can cause corrosion on the connector block. Removing and refitting it has probably scraped the crap of the connections.

C

·
0 Posts
I use that a lot as well and then coat the connections with dielectric grease to stop them corroding again - seems to work well.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I pulled the relay and bridged the HC terminals and the compressor kicked in. I verified there was 12V across the LC terminals
Having trouble with mine , compressor runs and cools when power is connected direct, and the light on Climate comes on OK. but no power to compressor :( . How do you remove the connections to the low/high pressure switch and test ? Which are the HC and LC connections at the relay. Tried swapping the relay with fuel pump, no joy and checked for voltage on relay connections, never thought to try bridging direct. System re-filled to correct volume and no leaks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
P700DEE
I had the same prob with my 2000 156. Aircon light on, compressor not working. Re-gas, still no joy. Checked the relays, all ok. Bridge power direct to compressor and bingo :). Turned out to be a 15a (blue fuse) that the aircon shares with the cigar lighter. Found in the fuse compartment under the steering wheel. Replaced it for 20p.:thumbs:..working...got it down to 4 deg !!!:lol:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I found that if I replace the solonoid with a bridge across the HC terminals (they are the larger ones on the right hand side on mine) the compressor works. If I leave it like that and DON'T switch on the climate control, I get chilled air (but not as chilled as I'd like). If I turn on CC with it like this it doesn't get as cold. I don't like leaving it like this as the compressor is running all of the time and I believe the system declutches it under hard acceleration when the relay is in place. Sopunds to me like something amiss with the control system, which could just be a dircty connection, but I don't have a wiring diagram to follow it through. I checked the 15A fuse in the cabin (one of the first things I did) and it's OK.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts