Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not major this - but I wouldn't mind sorting it out...and stop it getting worse.

When I'm driving I'll set the fan direction and speed ( on the center control ) - setting it so it blows into the cabin ( arrow at face ) at medium speed. It'll be fine then as I drive.

When I stop and park up - and then later return to the car, I'll drive off and find it's now directing air to my feet...or feet & windscreen...and at a high speed. Temperature seems unaffected.

So why is it changing all by itself - and how can I fix it? Is it a sign of deeper troubles ( ECU etc. )?

cheers all :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
In auto
it changes to suit the conditions.

EG: You set it as required. but then when the engine is cold the fan is low or off until there is sufficient heat in the system to blow. otherwise it is blowing cold air instead of the desired temp.

just leave it for 5-10 min from start up and it will go back to the desired temp and air.

·
Registered
101 Posts
IIf thats the case why does it change blowing direction?
I think it again trys to adapt to the conditions. so if the outside air temp is low. it will blow at the window to clear condensation. and in to the footwell as this is the best way of heating the car!

I noted mine being " random " but after i gave up arguing with it things settled down. ether take off auto or let it settle after 10 min of driving.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am not sure if mine has the same problem but my climate control starts up at any random temperature when I start the car. Doesn't matter what I set it to, it is never the same next time I get in. Sometimes it just goes to max and even argues with me when I try and turn it down and turns itself straight back up.

Am I missing something and is this actually a "feature"?

If I put it on the windscreen de-mist setting then that works just fine but when that clears and switches itself off it is back to the lottery of settings

·
Registered
124 Posts
It defaults to the footwells as it heats the car more evenly. Unless it detects mist on the windows in which case it will blow at the front screen.

My problem is that even if I set it to 25c which should be boiling it only blows warm even though the engine is fully wamed up. If I set it to HI it then blows hot and warms the car up quickly.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The reason it does this is to maintain a set temp & humidity level in the cabin. As you drive along, the outside temp will vary, as will the moisture content of the outside air. It's a 'Smart' System, it goes way beyond simply altering the temp of the blown air through the vents which is what most so called CC Systems do.

The system is designed to ensure that the cabin is always at a constant.. as well as mist free.. it will aim to keep the windscreen clear too...

It will never blow warm air at your face (as this can make the driver sleepy), so if the system starts blowing warmer air to achieve your set temp, it will direct the air to your feet to minimize driver fatigue.. if the system decides it needs to cool the car, it will redirect that air to your face.. or a mix of face and feet. or, face and windscreen if it detects mist on the screen.. On any given journey, the system is constantly analysing the inside air quality, comparing it to the outside air temp & humidity and altering the Climate control system to:

1. Keep the cabin at your set temp (Air temp)
2. Keep the cabin air dry (Air Temp & direction)
3. keep the windscreen clear of mist (Air direction)
4. keep the driver alert (Temp & direction)
5. to play mind games with you because you drive an alfa (creepy)

There's also a sensor on the dash, behind the trip computer, that senses whether it's sunny or overcast, this has an effect on how the climate control system makes its decisions as well.

hope that makes sense?

You can override all this by selecting which direction you want the air coming fron (the buttons in the centre dial), the fan speed, (Centre dial) or simply pressing the auto button (left dial)...

That said, it's an outstanding system even if it takes a while to get going (its not a powerful system).. It perfectly maintains a constant environment in the car.. My screen has never misted up and it always keeps a good temp all the time... My parents both drive Mercs, its a better system than theirs by far in my opinion. Although they at least have fans that blow properly.. unlike the alfa!

·
Registered
930 Posts
It defaults to the footwells as it heats the car more evenly. Unless it detects mist on the windows in which case it will blow at the front screen.

My problem is that even if I set it to 25c which should be boiling it only blows warm even though the engine is fully wamed up. If I set it to HI it then blows hot and warms the car up quickly.
Long shot - but you might want to reset the Climate control system...

1. Disconnect battery and leave for a few minutes..
2. reconnect battery and step away for 3 mins.. don't touch a thing.. the system will recalibrate.. you can hear it happening if your in a quiet area.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Long shot - but you might want to reset the Climate control system...

1. Disconnect battery and leave for a few minutes..
2. reconnect battery and step away for 3 mins.. don't touch a thing.. the system will recalibrate.. you can hear it happening if your in a quiet area.
Thanks Alfa156Melb. I tried that but to no joy. It might be the cabin temp sensor thats a bit gunked up or faulty. If I knew where it was I would give it a good wipe..

·
Registered
930 Posts
Thanks Alfa156Melb. I tried that but to no joy. It might be the cabin temp sensor thats a bit gunked up or faulty. If I knew where it was I would give it a good wipe..
I'm pretty sure the temp sensors are in the grills between the temp dials.. others will have to confirm...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just a quick update. The hoover trick did nothing. I have noticed the external temp sensor seems to creep up as the engine warms up. It was reading 0c this morning when turning the car over. 30 mins later is was reading 3.5c. Leading me to beleive it may be a problem with the expernal sensor.

I don't suppose anybody knows where that sensor is on the 147?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
That depends on if it is Left hand or Right hand drive - it is on the left hand side of the car looking from the drivers seat, so for UK/OZ etc it is the small button under the passenger wing mirror.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Nice thread, interesting to hear some rational explanations for the CCs behavior :thumbs:

On mine ('03 facelift) the drivers side temp control dial has stopped working, it occasionally goes bourko and let's the temp creep up. Searching suggests dry sockets or poor soldering/seating on some of the ICs in the unit.

The aircon and fan force is spectacularly useless in the 156. Setting the fan to max, front vents only others closed, still only raises a waft of air, which is never cold, only cool

We're in Brisbane so ours is always set to the lowest temp (16.5) for aircon/cooling. I had it regased the other day, but no major improvement. (indeed the mechanic disturbed some of the sound dampening material on the chassis arm which promptly got caught up in the aux belt flinging it off - don't let that stuff flap loose)

Has anybody got aircon in a 156 which works as well as any other car (golf, corolla, etc) that pushes out cold air you can actually feel on your skin, maybe even moving you, your partners hair ??

Perhaps it was never in scope and I should give up trying to fix it, open the windows instead

·
Registered
930 Posts
Nice thread, interesting to hear some rational explanations for the CCs behavior :thumbs:

On mine ('03 facelift) the drivers side temp control dial has stopped working, it occasionally goes bourko and let's the temp creep up. Searching suggests dry sockets or poor soldering/seating on some of the ICs in the unit.

The aircon and fan force is spectacularly useless in the 156. Setting the fan to max, front vents only others closed, still only raises a waft of air, which is never cold, only cool

We're in Brisbane so ours is always set to the lowest temp (16.5) for aircon/cooling. I had it regased the other day, but no major improvement. (indeed the mechanic disturbed some of the sound dampening material on the chassis arm which promptly got caught up in the aux belt flinging it off - don't let that stuff flap loose)

Has anybody got aircon in a 156 which works as well as any other car (golf, corolla, etc) that pushes out cold air you can actually feel on your skin, maybe even moving you, your partners hair ??

Perhaps it was never in scope and I should give up trying to fix it, open the windows instead

I'm in Melbourne and for weather up to say about 30, after the car has some time to stabilize the cabin temp.. it works fine... but over 30 it has trouble... I was hoping a regas might help, but reading yoru experience, maybe not... :confused:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I thought is was just what it did. I just got in and correct it. Quite often I find when I start the car it starts with my desired settings then after 5 seconds decides to change it :lol: I'll leave it and see if it corrects itself

M

·
0 Posts

You sure it's working right?. I get loads of air outa mine on max. what miles you done? Maybe pollen filter is clogged up stemming flow of air

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have ordered a new climate control panel for my 156 after buying a duff one on ebay which gave the exact same symptons as my existing one - i.e. mega hot air or cold freezing air - no regulation of air temp!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts