Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 147 2.0TS Lusso with the full Climate pack and the digital display for the temperature has started playing up making it difficult to read what temperature it is set at. I would assume it is something to do with the LCD display as it is happening to both sides. (So I am thinking that it is a single LCD Display rather than 2 seperate ones?)
The climate control, heaters, blowers all work, its jst I have no idea what temperature it is actually set at.

If I say it is like when you press on the display on a calculator you should get an idea of what I mean!

So 3 things really
1) Is it likely to be the LCD display? If not, what else could it be? (Circuit board?)
2) Has anyone fitted a replacement LCD before and if so how hard is it?
3) Where can I get the required parts from?

Thanks in advance
Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
I'd say there are two different displays and the chance of both going at the same time is low, so you should look for the source of the problem elsewhere - most likely (and unfortunately) a circuit board or common connector. I don't believe you can replace the display / circuit board / connector alone and a whole unit sells for 150 EUR on ebay.it: CENTRALINA REGOLAZIONE CLIMATIZZAZIONE ALFA 156 JTD su eBay.it Interni, Ricambi Auto, Auto ricambi e accessori

I hope it's not the case though, it might be something as simple as loose connectors. But that's just an amateurish opinion.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I think it's something to do with dry soldered joints on the circuit board. Mine plays up sometimes. Couldn't tell you which joints in particular I'm afraid.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the replies, think I might do some unscrewing whilst I am off work tomorrow and have a root around

@adf83 - what is a dry soldered joint?

·
Registered
611 Posts
A dry soldered joint is basically where it has deterioated and doesn't make a good contact or good joint. I'm not entirely sure why it is called this. Essentially, if the joint is bad, re-solder it and all is good again. You may be able to identify a 'dry' joint by discolouration or generally it looks bad compared to the rest.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, now I get you, I was thinking that it was a new way of soldering boards and connections!
Cheers for the info, am going to try to take the panel off tomorrow and have a look around and see whats what

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Hi mate, I have got the same problem, occured this morning. Oddly if set to 17 degrees then the display is fine, but on any other setting it's unreadable. Did you have any joy in trying to fix your's?

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I had a look round the back of it (thats a chore in itself!) but could not see anything immediately obvious.
Might have to trawl the breakers yards and see if I can find a replacement display and try that

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmmm....looks like another expensive problem! Just when you think you've got them running right........:lol:
Nice car by the way. I had a 2.0 lusso before my GTA, and it had fewer problems!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi,

I had the same problem - set at 17 degrees all was good - anything else and it was useless! Replaced with a second hand working control panel off EBay (only £20). Works fine but the Canbus gets itself our of sync following the change and the ECU needs a proxy alignment (unless you can live with a constantly flashing mileometer!!) - cost me £25 at the dealer but know people on here may be able to help out with someone who can do it for free. I know Autolusso were offering to do this for free but I am miles from them...

The old unit looked like the cable connecting the LCD had a minor kink in it. Could well have been this distorting the data going to the display - but for £20-£30 it's probably not worth trying to fix and just do a simple replacement.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,

I had the same problem - set at 17 degrees all was good - anything else and it was useless! Replaced with a second hand working control panel off EBay (only £20). Works fine but the Canbus gets itself our of sync following the change and the ECU needs a proxy alignment (unless you can live with a constantly flashing mileometer!!) - cost me £25 at the dealer but know people on here may be able to help out with someone who can do it for free. I know Autolusso were offering to do this for free but I am miles from them...

The old unit looked like the cable connecting the LCD had a minor kink in it. Could well have been this distording the data going to the display - but for £20-£30 it's probably not worth trying to fix and just do a simple replacement.
That's useful information:thumbs:.
Did you disconnect the battery before disconnecting the old circuitry?? I wonder if this would prevent the need for a proxy alignment??

·
Registered
942 Posts
I did not disconnect the battery so don't know if this would work. However, before getting the proxy alignment done I did see if taking it off the battery for an hour would reset/ stop the flashing - no joy!

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
I did not disconnect the battery so don't know if this would work. However, before getting the proxy alignment done I did see if taking it off the battery for an hour would reset/ stop the flashing - no joy!
Thanks for the reply:thumbs:. I assume you can 'detach' the display and circuit board from a donor part so that you can use your original fascia panel??
I called the dealer earlier and they want £500 plus VAT:tut:
I've trawled the local breakers and no one has a 147 in.
If the display can be removed from the donor fascia then I may give Autolusso a call.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I just replaced the whole unit with the unit from EBay. The facia of the other one was in a similar condition (a few minor marks). So I removed the stereo, drink holder, then the climate control unit comes out with two hex screws and three connectors. Reverse with the new unit and job done!! Quite easy, just need the tool to remove the stereo and a hex key for the screws for the climate control unit - had the right size from my basic socket set...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Like I say - EBay, there were a couple on their last night. One was fifty quid but still better than £500+!! Also, try the guys on there who are breaking / selling for spares or repare - am sure you'll easy find one! see you're in Devon - where abouts? Would happily come and help you sort if if not too far from me in Yeovil, Somerset.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Hi mate, I saw one on eBay, but I've never had much joy with eBay purchases so I dismissed that! Anyway, after a call today to Autolusso, they informed me that the display cannot be parted from the fascia.........bit of a problem there as GTA fascias are a stand alone colour not replicated on standard 147's...........but, by shear luck, they have just bought in a GTA for breaking and the part is described as very good condition:). So I got me credit card out and should have the part this time tomorrow:thumbs: I live in Torquay by the way......many thanks for your kind offer....shouldn't pose any problems fitting it though, I do most bits and pieces on my cars. BTW, Autolusso confirmed that if the battery is disconnected prior to disconnecting the climate control unit, then a proxy alignment is not required. Could be useful for any other occassion you need to take anything electrical apart. Cheers for your replies, they've been a great help:thumbs:

·
Registered
942 Posts
No worries - will have to remember to take off the battery before attempting anything else - cheers for that!

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
hmm, might have to drop Ned a line, see if he has another one!
Cluffstar, top bombing for the info mate1
Sparky, a couple of my mates lives in Torquay and I come down a few times a year. Will have to try and coincide a visit with a Devon/Cornwall meet!

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
hmm, might have to drop Ned a line, see if he has another one!
Cluffstar, top bombing for the info mate1
Sparky, a couple of my mates lives in Torquay and I come down a few times a year. Will have to try and coincide a visit with a Devon/Cornwall meet!
Not a bad idea:thumbs: Good luck in getting your display sorted, good luck helped me! It should be a little easier on the non GTA 147 as most dashes were the same colour. Deffinately give Ned a shout, if he doesn't have one in I'm sure he'll get one soon.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts