Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
Searched the forum but couldn't find an answer to this question.
I have a few problems, with my climate control.

Firstly, when the fan is turned to full power it makes a lot of noise but there is very little airflow from the vents. The fan speed does increase as i turn it up but the actual air output from the vents changes very little. It is much less than i have had on other cars i have owned. Could there be a blockage? Any ideas how i could increase the air output? Are there any filter i can change and will changing them make any difference. I think there is a pollen filter. I doubt it has ever been changed.

Secondly. In other cars i have had with climate control i have simply set the temp at 20 degrees C put it in auto mode and hey presto, works fine and no need to ever alter it. Not so with the 147.

When the temp setting is on low, it blows out cold, air conditioned air. However, if i increase to temp by just 1 notch to 16.5 degrees C it blows out hot (well its luke worm actually, but certainly not freezing cold) air, even in the summer when i am certain the inside cabin temp of the car is way above 16.5 degrees C, probably more like 30 at times!! Could this be a cabin temp sensor problem? If so anyone know how it can be rectified or recalibrated?

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
The airflow issue is most likely to be the Pollen filter, I am having the same problem and after examining the pollen filter i found it was black with filth. It is located under the passenger dashboard, remove the carpet trim and look up. you will see a large round object, that is the heater fan, move to the center of the car and you will see a very thin access hatch attached with a few hex headed bolts. Pollen filter is under there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, ill give that a try.
Niether myself or the missus suffer from hayfever etc? would i be ok just to leave the pollen filter out? Or should i replace it? Are they expensive?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Also check whether the air recirculate flap is actually working. There always seems to be more of an air flow when open to exterior than in "recirculate" mode (not suggesting that this is the problem, merely may be contributing to it).

As to temperature, does it manifest itself this way when the exterior temperature is cold as well? i.e. does the heat come full on as soon as you adjust temp. upwards? I realise this may be difficult to tell at the moment, but certainly early mornings should be cold enough.... I'm trying to establish whether your actually able to control the amount of heat incrementally, or whether you have an "all-or-nothing" situation...

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Thanks, ill give that a try.
Niether myself or the missus suffer from hayfever etc? would i be ok just to leave the pollen filter out? Or should i replace it? Are they expensive?
Can't say for sure. The 145's never had a pollen filter at all and they managed to work fine. I wouldn't risk using it without one if it was designed to use one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also check whether the air recirculate flap is actually working. There always seems to be more of an air flow when open to exterior than in "recirculate" mode (not suggesting that this is the problem, merely may be contributing to it).

As to temperature, does it manifest itself this way when the exterior temperature is cold as well? i.e. does the heat come full on as soon as you adjust temp. upwards? I realise this may be difficult to tell at the moment, but certainly early mornings should be cold enough.... I'm trying to establish whether your actually able to control the amount of heat incrementally, or whether you have an "all-or-nothing" situation...
Its an incremental increase. for example if i move to 16.5 it blows out luke warm air. As i increaes the temp on the dial it blows progressivly hotter air out.

But when the cabin temp is way hotter than 16.5, say its been left outside in the sun all day, i recon cabin temp will be high 20's, it still blows out warm air even when set to 16.5, even when its been left running.

It's like it thinks its colder inside the cabin than it actually is and needs to be wormed up rather than cooled down?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point, maybe i will try to get a new pollen filter then, i guess the dealer is the place to go for this?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also check whether the air recirculate flap is actually working. There always seems to be more of an air flow when open to exterior than in "recirculate" mode (not suggesting that this is the problem, merely may be contributing to it)....
Yeah, the recirculate air flap is working. well it makes a diffferent sound when switched to recirculate so im assuming it is.

G

·
If it only blows cold on "LO" it's more
than likely the internal temperature sensor
connection or the sensor itself has gone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, that sounds like it could be the problem. Next question is, how to fix it and is it expensive!!!

G

·
I think the sensor is in the heater panel itself.
Maybe try and remove this and check the connectors.

(Mine did it from new, so the dealer fixed it.)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you say heater panel, do you mean the actual temp control panel in the dash. If so i had this out recently and re connected. all connections seem fine

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi Beddyboy

When you had the heater control panel out recently did you give it a few minutes to reset when you put it back? I had mine out recently and you have to wait a while after re-connecting so that all the stepper motors (actuators) which control the flaps can re-initialise.

Sometimes if they are not correctly re-set you can get problems with it blowing hot all the time or cold all the time or parhaps hot on the drivers side but cold on passenger side etc.

You don't have to take the panel out to re-set it though, you can disconnect the battery for a few minutes (make sure you've got your radio code!) then when you re-connect you will hear all the little motors going through their re-set procedure. Give it a few minutes to be on the safe side before starting the car up.

I've seen a few other posts on here where people were getting funny hot/cold issues and it turned out that they just needed a re-set. Of course if you're feeling flush you can take it to ALFA and they can re-set it with the Examiner and check if there's anything else wrong (like the internal or external temp sensor) but it's worth DIY attempt first.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts