Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for another climate control question but just want to know if all 159's are like this.

When I start car up in the morning or when the engine is cold, the blower bar is set at 1 bar and then once the engine temperature reaches 50'C the blower goes full throttle automatically. This happens all the time, but only in cold whether.

I didn't have this in the summer. In the summer it was the Aircon that came on by itself.

Is all 159's like this? or is it mine.

Because this started to happen after I complained to my dealer about the aircon switching itself on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Brera does this as well. I assume it is just the way the climate control works in cold weather. No point in blowing freezing cold air around the car, eh? My other car (Jag XF) also does the same thing. Of course in the summer, when it is hot outside and the climate control is trying to cool the car down, the fan will go on full speed straight away because the AC system can deliver cold air instantly and does not need the engine to warm up first.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Same for my 159 Lusso....even if the temp is set to high, the fan will blow at it's lowest setting until the engine has reached a certain temp and then all hell breaks loose :)

Which makes sense as per Minty1966, "No point in blowing freezing cold air around the car..."

BTW, it was the same on my previous car ('07 Audi A4).

·
Registered
972 Posts
When it does start blowing; I still get about 5 seconds of icy cold air blowing on my feet before it comes through hot! I put it down to the car reminding me just how cold it is outside, before showing me what a good job it's doing in warming up the cabin :lol:

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If any of you have the "Visibility Pack", the misting sensor will override any climate control settings as soon as the thermostat opens and will clear the windscreen mist before reverting to the pre-set temperature/blower setting.

Don't be harsh on it - its just trying to warm you up as quickly as it can. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
The climate control has blown my technophobe wife's mind. This is a woman who will get into her freezing Ka, turn the heating on full, the blower on full and then moans that cold air is blasting at her.:rolleyes: I have never been able to change this habit.
Now she gets into the 159, in which I've hit the quick-clear button and moans for a few minutes that the blower isn't blasting her. Today, she even asked me if Hi was a greeting or meant High, and sadly, yes, she was serious.:wow:
Before the cold weather I tried explaining that she should regard the temperature setting as the same as the thermostat at home; set it at the temperature you want to maintain. But no, she feels cold, way up it goes; then she's hot, way down........ Anyone got a set of restraints to match a black interior?

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Today, she even asked me if Hi was a greeting or meant High, and sadly, yes, she was serious.:wow:
:cheese:
I got one like that, fan on full heat dial at full heat, until she's warm then fan to 0 and heat off!! love driving by myself:D peace and harmony:)

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
I've got those:

Yes my climate doesn't start blowing much until there's some heat in the system.

Yes my wife doesn't seem to be able to cope with the idea that the car can't produce heat without it being warm itself. Worryingly neither does my daughter. Perhaps its genetic:cheese:

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Do they both still struggle with the concept of a 5th gear too??
won't let my missus drive my Alfa until she stops driving at 60 + still in 4th!!!!!! :eek:
When I told her Alfa had 6 gears she said so does my Fiesta :- 5 forward + 1 reverse!!:lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tapping the + or - once after starting - seems to settle and cure the habit of blasting cold air around the cabin once engine is warm... Does on mine anyway!?

·
Registered
381 Posts
The blower just running on full when the car is cold is a general Alfa thing I think. My GT was the same when the engine was cold, and it was cold outside. You can manually override it if you like the feeling of cold air on your face! :cheese:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can manually override it but, just don't like it blowing cold air at full frust, every time I drive it.
Got me answer thank you all AO's :cool:

·
Registered
50 Posts
won't let my missus drive my Alfa until she stops driving at 60 + still in 4th!!!!!! :eek:
When I told her Alfa had 6 gears she said so does my Fiesta :- 5 forward + 1 reverse!!:lol:
OMG! It is genetic: Years ago when I bought a 5 gear Sierra, wifeypoo wouldn't use 5th for months; we even had a screaming match in the car when I objected to valve-bounce on the motorway. Mention of a 6th gear in the Alfa brought on an icy stare
In the five months we've had it she's driven it once on an airfield perimeter road (it "ran away" with her) and once on a mile long straight private road........ she hit 6th!!!!:wow:

·
Registered
972 Posts
My wife doesn't like me driving her Corsa because I 'will hurt it' - suits me fine because it means I don't have the let her drive the Alfa (except home from the pub, obviously :lol:) Having read these comments though, I have to say I'm proud of the fact that given the opportunity, I'm confident she would use 6th. Unfortunately she hasn't got her pretty head around Climate Control yet and still insists on opening the window in summer.....

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Ah yes they are all indeed related :wow:

and just like Red Neck Americans only the dumbest bits have survived!!! :lol:

so much for Darwin's Theory obviously he'd never met my missus and her mother :cheese:

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Ah yes forgot to put in last post :-Last year I bought her in doors a fiesta with heated screen for frosty mornings she has never used it!! pours warm water on windows then drives off before it re-freezes:lol:

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
You know my wife has and even used 6th too! but my daughter doesn't seem to like 5th. She's pretty good at starting off in 3rd though!!!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Ordering a new Brera, there is a "sight package" available: Light sensor, mist sensor and rain sensor.
Rain sensor i standard, but light and mist? Should I put my money there?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
It´s not XX-genetic, lads. First: My wife was the one who made me Alfa crazy and 2nd: Usually driving a 159, she constantly almost puts the GT in reverse gear after the 5th.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts