Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Problem 1 : My climate control has a mind of its own. The temp numbers go upwards by themselves. If i buy a 2nd hand Climate Control unit off ebay (i assume the controls and electronics are all one unit?), will it just be a case of fitting it and bobs your uncle? Or is there any calibration involved?

Problem 2: Air con doesnt blow cold at all. Had it regassed and still doesnt blow cold - they said no leaks but must be something wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Plug into multiecuscan and all will be revealed. The climate could be a temp sensor. The A/C will possibly be an electrical fault not operating the compressor.
Don't use garages that just gas up air con without testing it. It will not work with too much gas in it as well as too little. It takes approx 30 mins to do the vac, test and refill properly. Too many places are just sucking out the remaining gas and refilling. They then visually check for leaks. All done in 15 mins for £40 and you are on your way:rolleyes:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had the regass done at Kwikfit and it took an hour and a half, so i think they did that bit properly. But i guess you're probably right about the electrical fault not operating the compressor - so will need to get that checked over.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah they should have. Car has never been re-gassed in 10 years so i just assumed that was the problem...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I believe the compressor fuse is shared with the cigarette lighter, so try that out. If the lighter works, then I reckon it's a compressor fault (or compressor clutch).

·
Registered
562 Posts
How can you know if the compressor is caput ?

I have similar problem, last year refilled gas, everything was fine, this year started for the first time in 5 months and it was very weak. Off course I waited for 15 min but still nothing, i felt the coldish air on the vents but it was not enough. Luckily when I refiled i paid extra 5 euros to put some color so if there was a leak they can see where is comes from. I also hear a "tick" sound when i turn on the AC. BTW it is manual one.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the compressor fuse is shared with the cigarette lighter, so try that out. If the lighter works, then I reckon it's a compressor fault (or compressor clutch).
Lighter still works so fuse must be ok

·
Registered
59 Posts
Kwikfit do a 45min pressure test on the system before refilling, at least they did on mine. If you have a very slight leak it probably won't show up, air con will just degrade slowly over time. Should still work initially though.

With mine, when you press the button the light comes on, there's a click and then a faint whooshing/hissing sound. Might be more noticeably with your head under the bonnet, but you should be able to hear it while sitting in the car.

At least with Kwikfit, if it doesn't work it doesn't cost anything!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone know the part number for the climate control unit?

Looking on ebay there appears to be 2 - 1560514410 and 1560334750. Both look the same to me but is one dual zone and one not? or are they all dual zone? if so can anyone tell me the correct part number for a 2004 2.4jtd 20v ?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
A short presure test is done after oil and gas recovery at the begining. The long test is not a pressure test it's a vacuum test. On my machine the length of time is set automatically and is usually around 20 minutes. If the vac is held the oil and dye is injected then the correct quantity of gas. The print out gives the quantities of oil and gas removed and the quantities added. If a leak is still suspected a uv light can be used to look for leaks or inside the car a gas sniffer. Why they would over ride the machine and vac it for 45 mins I wouldn't know

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oki doki thanks, so i could have a leak and that stops the compressor from kicking in i take it?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
If you plug it into multiecuscan you can operate the compressor clutch from your laptop to check it. It sounds as though you might have an electrical fault if the gas has been done correctly. I don't understand why they didn't test it after they gassed it. Even listening for the compressor kicking in and holding your hand by the vent is a good guide. Is it too late to take it back and ask them to check if it's held its gas?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts