Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for a trip this morning and i noticed a random clicking noise from somewhere on the front of the car. The noise is present at low speeds and sounds almost as if i have a stone trapped in the thread of of a tyre. Its not always present ie: it doesn't seem to be there when doing 60mph or above and also stopped and disappears when i input clutch. Is it a tensioner idler or could it be a drive shaft as i still have not got around to changing inner cv boot.

Thanks in advance as always for any input.:)

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
recent experience of mine similar things random clicking groaning from front, turned out to be bumper irons having worn clean away they were meshing together each rusted end over various cambers giving same noises to your description

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know for sure it's not that as i had my bumper off less than a month ago and the irons are grand, i suspect its either belt idler, tensioner or drive shaft though.?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
My 156 has this light clicking noise from the left when turning left at slow speeds, can only hear it with the window open. Didn't really sound like a CV joint (outer CV joints make a louder cracking, knocking sound) but I changed both driveshafts anyway for much younger ones off a 147 (my 156 has done 261,000km). The swap made no difference.

Then a couple of weeks ago I noticed a split inner CV boot, so I took it apart, cleaned and inspected, re-greased, and fitted a new boot (messy job).

Again there is no difference...

I suspect the split boot and the clicking noise are probably related, perhaps the joint is now slightly worn. I don't think it matters. Sounds like you're going through the same thing though!

Incidentally I have just replaced one inner CV boot on my yellow Spider AND one on my red Spider (neither was making any noise), so I've done that messy job three times in the last two weeks. I'm getting quite good at it. I just loosen the strut bracket bolts (and take one out) and take off the track-rod end. Then I undo the ring of Allen bolts using an impact gun (faster). I swing the driveshaft out to the front, tap off the tin cover, remove the circlip holding the joint to the shaft...

...and then in the case of my yellow Spider I found it very difficult to get the joint off the splines. Had to use a cold chisel. This did have the effect of marking the centre of the joint so that I could get the centre back in the right way around (I always take the joint apart to wipe away all the grease and dirt). The cage has one chamfered edge - this goes towards the transmission.

I always use metal band clamps on rubber boots. I used to use cable ties, but had problems with grease leaking out and boots popping off.

Though it might not be critical for the inner joint, I always use the molybdenum disulphide grease (grey) intended for CV joints.

Note that the outer CV boot on Spiders (and 156s) seems to be the plastic type and these don't split (I've never replaced one).

-Alex

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Alex, so yours wasn't the CV joint as my inner boot on O/S has been split for quite a while and i have been too lazy, what makes me think its CV joint is that it increases with speed and disappears when i put the clutch in to change gear. Its also not there all the time, it comes and goes and seems to be less noticeable after driving car for 20 miles. The only other thing i can think of is a stone or something trapped in the caliper?

Thanks for the input mate.:)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I was meaning that a consistent tapping/clicking is likely to be the inner CV joint (slightly worn) BUT many of them seem to do it (replacing it with another used one and cleaning/regreasing made no difference in my case.)

The joint seems quite loose when assembled dry, compared to a new CV joint that I bought for a Honda last year (or two for a Subaru this month), which were all very stiff to move.

I still believe that cleaning/regreasing is essential when you notice a split boot (to extend the CV joint's life), but I think once a light clicking has started, you might as well fit a new CV joint if you're going to the trouble of removing it. Hope this clears up what I meant? :)

Alternatively the light clicking/tapping is tolerable if you can't hear it with the window closed (I've tolerated it for years). I'm sure when greased-up it will last for a long time. The outer CV joints are more subject to wear and make a much louder noise when worn.

Meanwhile it would be funny if it was something bizarre like a loose spring in the clutch plate, but I think you'll be able to figure out whether it's road speed or engine speed related. Also, if it's a driveshaft, it's generally more noticeable when turning a corner, but in cars like the Spider the driveshafts tend to operate at a set-back angle even when the wheels are straight ahead - so even this last point isn't a definite identification.

Sorry about the uncertainty but I think you're on the right track - check for stones in the calipers first! :) also brake pad anti-rattle springs...

-Alex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts