Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fitted some new Brembo front discs and PFC pads the other day and bedded them in using the PFC guide. Towards the end of bedding them in I started hearing a clunk once I started accelerating again after the heavy braking. Straight away I though it might be the pad getting stuck in the caliper and the noise was it freeing itself. I could reproduce the noise in the same way - initial acceleration after I had finished braking. I would not hear the noise again. That's one noise....

Then, later in the same journey I started to hear a clicking noise when braking and coming to a stop. If I free wheel it doesn't make the clicking. That's the other noise.

I have since inspected both front wheels, tyres, calipers, discs and pads. All of them appear fine. The discs do not appear to be cracked or warped. The pads nicely slide in and out of the calipers.

Can anyone suggest what it might be? I did some searching and on one thread I found a similar noise was caused by a front wishbone bolt coming loose and touching the driveshaft under braking. This might have been on a 156 though as I've just looked and can't see any bolts that are loose or could even come in contact with the driveshaft even if they were.

It's starting to get embarrassing the number of times I've been underneath it lately. *rollseyes*

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think it's safe to say that under the strain of the heavy braking something has thrown the towel in, it's just a question of what? I'm going to taking it for drive later this eve to try figure it out. With the window down it's VERY apparent!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK been for a thrash. The clicking is from the rears when braking. Sort of a ker-lunk, ker-lunk when the rear brakes are on. God knows what it is. I'll inspect ASAP.

I got the front brakes really up to temperature and that's when I started to hear and feel the clunk from the (I think NS) front after I have finished braking and start to accelerate. I'm 90% sure it's the pads somehow getting stuck in the caliper then freeing itself off again.

I have to say that, aside from the above noise I'm really impressed with the PFC pads - when they get up to temperature that is. It's almost like they are too powerful and are highlighting weaker areas of the car!!

With all the thrashing about I managed to get a "Low oil pressure" warning so decided to call it a day! :tut: :paranoid:

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm not sure about your brake issues, but I'd have that low oil pressure investigated. No amount of thrashing about on the road should bring up a low pressure. Myself and many others have done numerous track days with no oil issues, where the cars are pushed much harder than road use. May just be a dodgy sensor

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I'll get it checked out. I'll dig out my bluetooth OBD dongle and see if any fault codes come up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts