Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed today as I raise the clutch pedal there's a loud 'click' noise just before it reaches the top of it's travel.
Is this normal? Seems a bit odd.

M

·
0 Posts
I had mine do that for a couple of days then it stopped on its own and hasnt come back over that last 3 months...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine does it to. Annoying isnt it.

Ive had a look and cant really see whats doing it, everything seems to move smoothly enough, its like something gets locked and then releases.

Just one of many unwanted noises my car makes along with all the rattles!

Good job the rest of the car is so good!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have you got mats fitted?

Mine kept slipping forward and kept catching the clutch, which gave me symptoms exactly as you have described... The click could be the mat getting caught and then 'pinging' back down again?

·
Registered
259 Posts
hi guys,

the flywheel of the car is a bit loosy compared to other cars I have driven. Is it coming from the engine bay? If not most probably something stupid & easy to fix.

if coming from the engine bay it may also be the flywheel while catching the press plate and while releasing it as I am hearing when it is quite around but ignoring it for the moment. I believe the initial series of some clutch sets & flywheels are problematic and that might be the reason as well as the gearbox problems. I have witnessed a car in the dock when I was replacing my gear box with the same complaint and the technician was grumbling himself about how crap they have made the transmission staff while he was loosening the 30 nuts under the car:)

bregards...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the exact same problem, took it in and the swapped the master clutch cylinder. The garage said after they inspected it they found a fault and small leak so it was changed under warranty. Maybe worth mentioning it to see what they say?

regards
Vaughan

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll give it a couple of weeks, see if it goes on it's own.

Checked the mat today and it's nowhere near the pedals.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Got my husband to take it for a spin yesterday and he said its not the mats after all. Oh well, a wee trip to dealer i guess....

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
It's probably the spring on the pedal moving on its stay. Stick a bit of grease on it and see if that solves it..

Ralf S.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Had the same issue with mine - Felt like a "pop" at the very top of the pedal travel just as you lift your foot off the pedal. After a failed first attempt at fixing it the dealer replaced the master cylinder and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had the same problem on my 166, a bit of white lithium grease did the trick.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It feels like the clutch pedal travels further than the clutch mechanism, so when you release the pedal it releases the clutch mechanism and then there's a bit more 'free travel' at the end where it just 'pops' back.... if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well.. it's booked in at the dealers Friday for them to take a look.

The noise actually completely disappeared for one day, and I thought it was fixed but came back the next day.

Each day it seems to start off barely noticable and then go louder (worse) the more you drive. As if it's related to something warming up or maybe some hydraulic fluid not completely being replaced each time you press the clutch in ??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Let me know how you get on mate. Mine feels a bit like it's catching against something on its way up to the very top. Does that sound the same?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep.
I've even stuck my head down there to try and see if I could spot what it could be.. but doesn't seem to be anything visible.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Car back, fixed! (touch wood)

Leaking Master Clutch Cylinder.
I booked it in on Tuesday just saying that it made a knock noise when I lift the pedal. Took it down on Friday am and they'd already got a new master cylinder in ready for me. So I think it's a 'known issue'.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts