Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My ph.1 gtv has been stationary for a few years now. When I recently started driving it again there were some funny new noises in the interior.

Firstly a sort of crackling, clicking noise from the fuse-box area. This noise is intermittent- coming and going every few minutes once the car has warmed up.

The other noise is a cyclical clicking and whirring noise coming from the dashboard behind the passenger airbag. This also starts once the car has warmed up. Unlike the other noise this one doesn't go away once it has begun, clicking away every couple of seconds until the car is turned off..

I checked the fuses- they seem ok. Car is going fine. Only thing not working is a side indicator.

Anybody come across these noises before or have any ideas what they might be??

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You could possibly link the noise from the fuse box with your faulty indicator?

Awful long time to leave a nice car standing!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was hoping that someone had found a solution to this; I've just taken my car out for a run and this was this prevalent squealing/wheezing from the passenger side airbag :eek: akin to the airbag leaking high-pressure air (even though that's not possible)

Any ideas anyone? even better, any solutions? :confused:

·
Registered
Spider, 147, 156 SW Selespeed, Brera
172 Posts
Firstly a sort of crackling, clicking noise from the fuse-box area. This noise is intermittent- coming and going every few minutes once the car has warmed up.
Hi Alesi - I think I've got this noise too, my TS spider's done it since I bought it. It sounds to me like a relay, and can go a bit haywire if you're at a particular throttle/rpm combination.

It's just a guess, but given that it only comes on when the car's warm (I completely agree) I'm thinking it might be a relay performing some function based off the thermostat - does this ring any bells for anyone who might know more than I do? :confused:

I never notice it at idle so I never remember to check it out myself :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Have heard plenty of reports of fuses melting. seems to be due to dirt building up in the box, dirty contacts etc, leads to increased resistance and overheating. Advice seems to be to take the fuses out, give the box a good clean, make sure all contacts are good. Crackling sounds worryingly like things shorting out ...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Have heard plenty of reports of fuses melting. seems to be due to dirt building up in the box, dirty contacts etc, leads to increased resistance and overheating. Advice seems to be to take the fuses out, give the box a good clean, make sure all contacts are good. Crackling sounds worryingly like things shorting out ...
I was acutally talking about the sound at the passenger side around the glovebox/airbag. There's no fuses there that I know of? Could it be the airbag? Blower motor? Fuses past the firewall/bulkhead?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts