Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again... could any of you give me some tips and recomendations on what products to use for cleaning and proofing the Spider mohair hoods please?

Since I bought my spider just a couple of months ago I used the Autoglym mohair hood cleaning kit. I want to ensure my spiders roof is winter ready! Can you please advise how often should the hood be proofed?

Thanks for your time please tell me your experiances with whatever products you have used etc. :p

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
If you're happy with the cleaning kit stick to it, if not use the Renvo soft top cleaner. I always waterproof them with Gtechniq i1, it is capable of waterproofing toilet roll (and has a claimed durabilty of 2/3 years) :D

One more thing, make sure you rinse the hood for about 10 mins to get any traces of your chosen cleaner out

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the advice so far:) I am not too sure if I am to impressed with the Autoglym, It beads well but if the rain is persistant then the top of the roof does not appear to bead. I was thinking of giving it another coat with the rest of the autoglym proofing treatment and then probably getting some Renovo or if I can find somewhere that sells Gtechniq i1. I looked on ebay but no joy, I did find the Renovo on ebay though. My roof is in good nick and is not faded at all a the moment!:p

Thanks again for the advice and experiances.....much appreciated.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update I bought Renovo Reviver and proofer, the results are much more impressive than Autoglym. Messy stuff, need to clean by rear window now but I am pleased with the product and my roof looks Brand New!:lol:

I Thought My Roof was already a deep black but after applying the restorer it now glistens. :) Will apply the proofer in a day or two. Thanks for the advise guys and girls.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Where is the best place to purchase Renovo, and is the kit a better option. There are so many people on ebay selling it becomes a minefield...and sometimes I am a bit wary of ebay for these sort of things

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought my renovo stuff directly from them. Arrives in a few days normal delivery, it's not that expensive for what you're getting and it works brilliantly.

I'm going to buy a whole pack of stuff for my father in law's boat as they do a variety of colours too.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where is the best place to purchase Renovo, and is the kit a better option. There are so many people on ebay selling it becomes a minefield...and sometimes I am a bit wary of ebay for these sort of things
Hiya, I purchased the 500ml black renovator and the proofer for £30.00 from ebay and that included postage. Brill stuff:thumbs:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have just purchased the 'cleaner'?? and proofer for about £25 inc delivery...is the renovator different to the cleaner?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have just purchased the 'cleaner'?? and proofer for about £25 inc delivery...is the renovator different to the cleaner?
the quick answer is "yes" - there are 3 different Renovo products for the hood - cleaner, proofer & reviver. The reviver puts back the colour that's lost due to sun damage.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put the proofer on yesterday. Its a more messy job applying the renovator than the proofer. Hope it lasts for a long while now.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hi all, for the 916 Spider could you tell me whether the 1ltr or 500ml was sufficient to do a whole hood coat ? :D

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I have 2 soft tops Renovo is excellent. I did my mg last weekend and the cleaner was fantastic it brought the blue colour up really well. I don't think it had been cleaned for about 4years. Follow the instuctions but as some else said even when you think the soap is out keep rinsing, I used the hose on a gentle spray and a clean sponge for rinsing. I'm going to do the spider this weekend weather permitting. I bought the triple pack off ebay arrived in 2 days.The 500ml size is fine. Lynn

·
Registered
2 Posts
The best there is, is RagTop cleaner and sealer. Much better than Renovo. Easy to use and not to expensive. Do a search and you will find out that all the very expensive brands of cars recomend it exclusively.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts