Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
So I’ve removed a spring pan to de-rust and apply rust proofing and see that there are 2 holes in the underside with rust inside. Do you have any tips on removing rust from the inside cavities?
Thanks
Ian

·
Registered
192 Posts
Or just use 100g of citric acid to 900ml of hot water (probably the same as Bilt Hamber but a fraction of the price and you can buy it on Amazon). If you can keep the solution warm in a bucket using something like a beer making heating belt it will work even quicker. I did my from front hub carriers (and many other parts) this way. Worked a treat. Also used the Dynax wax inside my front sub frame (unfortunately not able to citric acid treat that that though!) very easy with the long flexible spray tube that comes with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the advise.

I used the bilthamber first in a ratio 10:1 which went black after 24 hours which I understand means it’s exhausted it’s effectiveness.

Before
View attachment 893319

View attachment 893321
After
C58B1FEA-2436-426F-B968-854B8A92F73A.jpg

F6672BC3-2CCC-40EB-A013-717FC07B4B0E.jpg

I’ve now mixed up another batch of solution and we’ll see if there’s any further improvement over the next couple of days.

So this is after 96 hours in the new bithamber mixture.

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

I’ll try the citric acid on the other side

So this is after the same amount of time in citric acid 1kg to 5 litres water.
I think this is marginally better than the Bilt Hamber
Unfortunately it revealed some holes so the pan is scrap
C652E57F-5EEB-436D-8A4E-E9A716D49F7F.jpg
A6683429-EE56-4B33-B3F3-A35043697C6E.jpg

Ian

·
Registered
43 Posts
Or just use 100g of citric acid to 900ml of hot water (probably the same as Bilt Hamber but a fraction of the price and you can buy it on Amazon). If you can keep the solution warm in a bucket using something like a beer making heating belt it will work even quicker. I did my from front hub carriers (and many other parts) this way. Worked a treat. Also used the Dynax wax inside my front sub frame (unfortunately not able to citric acid treat that that though!) very easy with the long flexible spray tube that comes with it.
Food grade citric acid !?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
You could try using this method.

My brother has used the washing soda method to recover all sorts of iron objects, he however used a variable voltage and current transformer I got for him from Italy. That gives more control than an ordinary battery charger.

I've seen the method used in an industrial museum to renovate large and small items.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for the advise.

I used the bilthamber first in a ratio 10:1 which went black after 24 hours which I understand means it’s exhausted it’s effectiveness.

I’ve now mixed up another batch of solution and we’ll see if there’s any further improvement over the next couple of days.

I’ll try the citric acid on the other side.

Ian
The black colour doesn't necessarily mean it is exhausted but it is certainly a good idea to get as much rust off as you can with a wire brush first and if it does go black wire brushing this off as well. There are two things that will speed up the process. Using a more concentrated solution (try 15% as per Bilt Hamber instructions) or keeping the solution warm. If you can do the latter it will certainly help but isn't always easy. If you can drain some or all the solution off every now and again and heat it in a microwave then pour it back onto the spring pans that is better than nothing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Food grade citric acid !?

Citric acid is found naturally in citrus fruits (cf. lemon juice) and is used in food production in many ways but perhaps along with pectin to make jam set is the most likley way to come across it at home (I'm trying to avoid the gender stereotypes here). WRT rust removal, its effect is nothing like as dramatic as 'stronger' acids such as concentrated hydrochloric or sulphuric (battery acid) but that is good, as you want the rust removing with as little effect as possible on the un-oxidised metal. Whilst it is not good to leave your hands in it for prolonged periods as it is an irritant, it won't cause instant burns and can be readily washed off hands and metal with water. It does stain marble though if you leave it long enough (don't ask!).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts