Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Can anyone recommend specific products that can be used to clean the MAF? Specifically products that can be found on the market here in SA.
Thanks in advance
Munier

·
Registered
846 Posts
howzit AR156SA?

I would highly recommend "electrical contact cleaner", it contains a certain amount of alcohol and a few other things that aids in cleaning certain products without harming it.
I used mine about a month ago to clean my MAF as well( I finished it), you should be able to get a bottle from any reputable spare shop and builders warehouse as well...the product I had comes in a blue and white container(I honestly cannot remember the name of the product) and its in an aerosol spray can so the application quite wide to use.

also plain alcohol is also quite good, there is a name for it( I cannot remember as well) and can be purchased from a pharmacy, will try and get that name.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey Purple One

Appreciate the feedback. I've always heard about cleaning the MAF but the guys never really mentioned what they use to clean it. I think it is mentioned on Gaz's site but he mentions names of products unknown to me. I'll have a look for this at the local builders warehouse.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Agree with Purple One, any electrical cleaner would do well. Try get one that has the little red nozzle that you push into the spray head, this way you can concentrate where you spray.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi PO, Mason
Got hold of some electric contact cleaner from the local builders w/house. I didn't see the blue and white can, but I was able to get one with the red nozzle. They had a couple on the shelf but I opted for the one that does not leave any residue. The others seem to leave a 'protective layer' which in my mind can't be good for the MAF.
Will post here once I've done the job (probably the weekend only) and hopefully I would've been rid of my problem.
Thanks for the suggestions again.
Munier

·
Registered
846 Posts
glad to be of help.

whilst cleaning the MAF on a regular basis is good,why are you cleaning it,are you experiencing bad fuel consumption or is the drive not as smooth as before...ie, lumpy idling?

just curious to know :smile:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey PO
I posted something on another forum here and all suggestions led to the MAF as being one cause of the problem. While driving, maintaining speed, the revs seem quite high (and is) it sort of hangs there, then just drops. Not dramatically, but to what would seem normal. Also, when abusing it a bit, when hitting second, she stutters a bit before climbing. Revving is not clean. I did the throttle clean and reset a few times but no changes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A mechanic said to me that he took his maf out, put it in coke overnight and the next morning he rinsed it out with warm water, blow dried it and put it back in. He said it was as good as new..

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
wait wait wait electrical component soaking in coke.... you sure he wasnt sniffing it?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A mechanic said to me that he took his maf out, put it in coke overnight and the next morning he rinsed it out with warm water, blow dried it and put it back in. He said it was as good as new..
Can someone on this forum please try this out and let me know how well it worked out?:lol:

Thanks.

PS~ I eventually cleaned the MAF with electrical contact cleaner, but not much of a difference really. Time for a new one I would suppose.:(

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
rather replace then try clean... warranty will cover it

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im trying it now, will let you know tomorrow evening if it worked.. Im going for a dump now night night
Very nice of you to let us know Jeremy.:eek:

Looking forward to hearing how the coke thing went.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It worked.. just refitted it and didn't realise how much power i was losing. The mechanic told me that it wont damage the circuit board because its water proofed. Coka Cola is great, from now on im gonna drink more.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Spanjaard Lectro Kleen - The one with the red cap. It is the one that leaves no residue - It is an aerosol

The other product which you can buy at a pharmacy is IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) - It is a liquid.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL, that ought to be censored!

I'm still very sceptical about using coke - I may just be desperate enough to do it.

@ Springbok, thanks for the recommendations.

@ Hygrade, out of warranty, so need to dig into the pockets in order to replace. Maybe a should borrow one to see if it makes a difference. I know someone who has one - but the effort to get it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is exactly what i did.
1. Took the coke out the fridge and drunk a glass of coke.
2. poured coke into a bowl, then placed maf in, it sunk.
3. Discharged my bowls, then went to bed.
4. woke up in the morning, took maf out, rinsed it out with warm water.
5. Blow dried it for 15mins, left it to dry for 8hrs.
6. Refitted and then i was aroused with the results.

p.s. Do not eat and poo at the same time, your woman will give you trouble..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts