Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the best stuff to use cleaning those shiney chrome bits? Is it chromed or plated summin? I have some metal cleaner but it says dont use on this, this and this so dont want to use it if not suitable. One of the shiney bits had a very tiny bit of rust starting to poke its ugly head through so needs sorting:cry: What about the rest of the bay, cloth and warm water? Is there a quicker way besides someone else to do it?

Cheers:D

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Just take it slow and never be tempted to use a jetwash!

Motorcycle or mountain-bike cleaners are good and worth a try.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David will have a look, would never use a jet wash! Remember going to car wash with my nan years ago and there was a bloke using the pressure washer to clean his engine. Was clean, just didnt start! RAC was called, what a plank:D

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I used Autosol on mine Jim, brought them up nicely :)
Nooooooooo :cry:

DON'T use autosol, it's not for use on mirrored surfaces like the intakes on the GTA it's fine for exhausts and the like though.

Get some Sonus Glass and Chome Polish

Sonus Glass & Chrome Polish

:thumbs:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Somebody please help or good advice will be appreciated. Went to the car wash yesterday to send mt 201 147ts for a wash.when I went to pick her up she looked stunning and the guy told since my engine bay was so dirty he took the courtesy of ''JETWASHING" my engine bay with the car running. In a panick I quickly checked if it would start and it did. Drove perfectly the whole afternoon but this morning it stalled a little,so I left it running for about 10 minutes to burn any excess water out. Ran fine after that but is the a way to make sure all the water is out?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Somebody please help or good advice will be appreciated. Went to the car wash yesterday to send mt 201 147ts for a wash.when I went to pick her up she looked stunning and the guy told since my engine bay was so dirty he took the courtesy of ''JETWASHING" my engine bay with the car running. In a panick I quickly checked if it would start and it did. Drove perfectly the whole afternoon but this morning it stalled a little,so I left it running for about 10 minutes to burn any excess water out. Ran fine after that but is the a way to make sure all the water is out?
IIRC you might want to spray some WD40 over the electrical connections it'll chase out any residual water, not done this in an age though so not sure if it's still regarded as common practise.

On another note... What a knob, absolute knob :(

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Electronically controlled motor vehicles and water? Ugh!! :tut:

However, for degreasing engine components in a sort of surgical fashion, I have found my wife's Karcher steam cleaner, with it's fine point jet attached, allows me to precisely control, in a minimally invasive fashion,where the steam goes, with excellent results. That is if, and when, she allows me to use the machine?:D

Solvol for bright metal components, as we on AO have advocated in the past?:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've found cillit bang very good on engine bays :eek: sounds scary but trust me it worked a treat ! Asfor the steam, great idea I also use that technique with my hellfords steamer, precision nossle inthe gaps and grooves where the crud builds up, done it for a few years now on my gs430 and there's lots of electrical gubbins under the bonnet and *touch wood* never had a problem !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts