Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dudez? How can you clean a leather steeringwheel? Should you use the same stuff you use for cleaning leather seats?

After 8 months my steeringwheel looks darker and shiny (I have a greasy skin, yuk).
The gearknob is showing signs of wear btw, isn't that very fast?

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
I have very sweaty hands, so I clean my sterring wheel several times per week.

Normally I just use a Glorix window tissue or a cloth with "Allesreiniger" :)

No need to "feed" the leather :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
This is an importance query IMHO :D
Currently I wipe every day with my damp chamois (which I carry in door pocket)
However I am considering trying Zymol Leather conditioner. I have emailed their rep in Australia and awaiting reply. :D

·
Registered
632 Posts
Leather is a natural product and it is not an easy thing to clean ones it has become dirty.

Never use saddle soap, solvents, abrasives or caustic household cleaners such as soap or dish detergent. These vary widely in strength and in compatibility with today's water-based leather finishes, and may cause cracking or other damage to the leather surface.
If you do so consider using a special leather product afterward to restore its luster and replace the leather’s natural oil. Mostly you can buy these products in furniture or shoe stores.
You mostly have a cleaner and a conditioner. The conditioner is the most important product here. It works preventive.

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
My dear Suikerpopje, it's rather quiet at work, non? :rolleyes: :D :D :D

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Eve:
<strong>Leather is a natural product and it is not an easy thing to clean ones it has become dirty.

Never use saddle soap, solvents, abrasives or caustic household cleaners such as soap or dish detergent. These vary widely in strength and in compatibility with today's water-based leather finishes, and may cause cracking or other damage to the leather surface.
If you do so consider using a special leather product afterward to restore its luster and replace the leather’s natural oil. Mostly you can buy these products in furniture or shoe stores.
You mostly have a cleaner and a conditioner. The conditioner is the most important product here. It works preventive.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Zymol Leather conditioner is excellent on leather seats and like their excellent wax products has a very nice smell :D (Actually some of their products smell good enough to eat.)
However I have never used it on a steering wheel, hence the reason I have asked their rep his opinion,before I use it. :D

·
Registered
632 Posts
It can't do any harm you know. Leather is leather...
I know these kind of products because I used to sell leather sofa's. They will not harm and maybe they will not work either, but you have nothing to loose. Soap will harm your leather a lot more.

G

·
i use Zymol leather cleaner on my Wheel and gearknob works a treat. I also follow up with some autoglym leather cream - keeps it nice and supple

·
Registered
665 Posts
I just bought the new wipes from Armor. It came top of the list with Turtle Wax in the Autoexpress recent tests (www.autoexpress.co.uk)
and I think it does contain a conditioner.... so a kind of 2 in 1 product :D

.... and convinient too, as you can leave them in your car, doesn't dry out, etc...

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by zeflar:
<strong>i use Zymol leather cleaner on my Wheel and gearknob works a treat. I also follow up with some autoglym leather cream - keeps it nice and supple</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why do you not use Zymol leather conditioner ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts