Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little birdie whispered in my ear that I should consider fitting coil packs from a late model 147 on the 146 as I will then get a cleaner spark and therefore better combustion, which of course will translate into better gas mileage or (the way I drive) better performance. Now I don't even pretend to understand this. Therfore can someone explain why this may be true, as to me a coil pack is a coil pack is a coil pack. What is it ie better or less resistance or whatever that would make this happen?

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
hi...i can probably imagine this will cause managment issues?But i dont see why its not possible...speak to the electric guru - Chris.

·
Registered
846 Posts
joe,I think that's a load of ********.

I would think the ECU would be your first port of call.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
For the older cars, Bosch blue ending in 027 is seen as better than other coils. I don't understand coils either, but try the electronic management forum on alfabb. Those guys know everything!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I'm with Cerrone on this, not to convinced of this.

They both Twinspark engines... I think they even use the same spark plugs... I reckon you better off just putting a new air filter in.

Good to see you back Joe.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I can't quite remember the details, Chris explained it to me. The way the second spark plug is fired is different between the 2 motors. But in what way I can’t remember.

It is said that the way it's done on the 147 is better. I would hope so, since it is the later model and should be an improvement. If the coil packs are a straight swap is another thing altogether and so is should you.

Well that’s my lame 2c.

·
Registered
846 Posts
ryan, if I remember correctly it called wasted spark, it concerns swapping the second coil plug...as far I remember the guys said that it yielded no results.

will try and look for that info...

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
ryan, if I remember correctly it called wasted spark, it concerns swapping the second coil plug...as far I remember the guys said that it yielded no results.

will try and look for that info...
Lol, yeah. Remembered it had something to do with wasted spark, but I just can't recall the details.

Yeah, hang on. On the 147 the coil fires the main plug and the second plug on the same cylinder via a lead. Does the older one fire the second plug on another cylinder? I have this idea that on another TS engine it's used this way. This is from a casual chat, a longish while back so, it's very fuzzzy.

As for results, I can have no opinion.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Same as my cars coils vs a newer twinnie.. The coil packs have a short lead for the 2nd spark plug so 1 coil pack fires 1 cylinder, on my car the coil pack fires main sparker in cyl 1 and secondary sparker in cyl 3 etc...
What the difference is.. I dunno.. Although the specs say my car is 114Kw and the newer ones are 110Kw... Maybe one of you boffins can explain this to me?? I think its because the newer twinnies have more Cats than mine??

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
i think its coz of more cats mate...earlier mofels have less cats...maybe 2 and newer models like mine have 3 it has 2 at the manifold and 1 just after...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts