Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well as i had nothing on yesterday i thought i'd clean my egr valve,
my thinking was that its never been done and car has done just over 80k, but i do like to drive "spiritly" so maybe its not too bad,

how wrong was i. everthing and i mean everything was clogged with a oily/sooty poo. the butterfly area must have been 1/3 clogged.
in the end i cleaned the valve, freed off the plunger, took the butterfly off and cleaned all that out and the variouis nooks and crannies on the manifold where the egr ports are, wish i'd have taken pics but sorry guys,
took it for a quick drive just to make sure it still worked but not had chance to see if theres any advantages yet.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
keep ontop of it now matey.....i check and clean often
do the MAP sensor too.....its to the left of egr and held in with one torx bolt, itll prob be just one big lump of soot.
i also do ecu reset after cleaning

Gary

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your right bud, i had a look / clean after reading your post. was a right mess, i take it its a combined map/inlet air temp sensor

once i done this and fired up the engine without the plastic cover on i noticed number 3 cylinder was leaking a tad around the injector, it was damp and you could see it bubbling slightly, so i've just tought myself how to remove the injectors, have to start at num 1 then 2 then 3. it had obviously been leeking by for a while as it was covered in old crap.

cleaned up the copper sealing washer. replaced everything and its sorted,

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i done it last time all the air con and fans came on. do i turn them off or just leave everything as is

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
u can turn them off just dont touch the throttle till ur done

map sensor is air pressure sensor only by the way :)

simple things like that keep ur motor sweet.........far to many people never touch em an complain when things go wrong......its not the cars fault !! :-(

you may not see massive power improvments but mpg should go up
when i bought my gt it had had a recent egr valve and other stuff and mpg wasnt impressive so i did a ecu reset and gained 8mpg

with fuel costing wot it does i do all the stuff like that......takes an hour or so of ur time, i also run the car with empty boot.........good thing about gt is it doesnt come with spare wheel which saves alot of weight, for those who dont think weight costs........we took my mum of with us for a weeks holiday, her and her luggage cost 5 mpg to what i normaly get on a run !!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry to sound thick but can you advise where these are on a 147 - defo wish to do the same - what did you clean them with?

Thanks

Les

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when looking at engine from front, there egr is back right, near air inlet pipe, map sensor is just to right of centre.

·
Vendor
45,757 Posts
remember - no matter how tempting to hear that exhaust note do not touch the throttle!
I'm not sure whether it matters so much on a diesel, the throttle position is always 100% open as soon as you turn the ignition on, idle speed control is done by varying the fuelling. Matters on a petrol though.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hi Guys
Having cleaned the EGR valve in september of last year, it's started to act up again. So I've decided to replace it. The problem is there appears to a big difference in prices for the same part. And the Alfa branded parts being the dearer.

Alfaworkshop - £120 or £144
Veloces - £150
EB Spares - £130
Autolusso - £120
AutoVaux - £100
LMFVauxhall - £98
Seekpart24 - €160 (£133)
Worldcarparts - €152 (£126)
Ebay €119 (£100) & Ebay - £84

So in your opinion which should I go for? Any advice appriciated.

Donal

Oh it's a 07 GT JTDm

·
Banned
857 Posts
Cheapest? :rolleyes:
Absolutely - there's only one company makes them so no question of quality variability. Also - check for the same parts being sold for Vauxhalls and SAABs (private enterprise revolves around people paying what they think they should be paying for something, so Vauxhall owners expect to pay less.......!)

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
I believe the part number will be 55215031, it is for the 1.9 and 2.4 Multijet 156. So go for the cheapest, several Vauxhall (pardon the swearing) part suppliers on ebay have them less than £80.

·
Registered
59 Posts
New to Alfa's so excuse the question if it's a silly one.. How do you do an "ECU reset"???

Also all this talk about cleaning and replacing EGR valves, from my previous experience with EGRs it's better off being bypassed with an EGR delete, is this not the case on Alfa 1.9JTD engines?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts