Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car's developed a significant tapping sound over the last week or so. Immediately blamed the lifters so flushed the oil and put some new stuff in and added some lifter treatment for good measure. After giving it about 250 miles to do it's thing nothing has happened. Clatters as usual but far more so under acceleration.
After reading through here a good amount I've decided based on the collective knowledge of the forum that it's either rocker(s), Lifter(s) or an injector. I fired up FES and got the readings as shown in the attachment for injector correction. Is 3 behaving within expected values or not? Dips are from revving up to ~2k.
Using a poor man's stethoscope (the screwdriver in my glovebox), the injector 3rd from the left as I stand in front of the car looking at it is a little noisier. Is it worth getting it cleaned by some pros and can anyone recommend a good place for it? :)
It might be helpful to add that occasionally the noise disappears but at apparently random times and not for long.
Thanks for your time guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Puts some miller in your diesel for your injectors that worked on mine and the noise maybe your swirl flaps playing up inner manifold might be clogging up so the swirl flaps get stuck does she idle ok

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I've got some injector cleaner by STP in there which went into a 3/4 full tank before a 90 mile journey. Not sure if it's up to miller's standards, haven't noticed anything yet. Idles very smooth, a constant 750rpm, and pulls well. Other than the loud tapping its running beautifully at the moment but it just doesn't sound healthy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have tried other stuff millers seems to be the best ,,,,, have you looked at your map sensor take it out and see if its caked in sticky soot map sensor is on the inlet manifold top back of engine you will need a allen key to take it off,, if so i think your swirl flaps are sticking and thats where you get that loud tapping or ticking noise

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did take the map sensor off to clean a couple of months ago just in the name of doing simple jobs that might save me future hassle and it was pretty filthy. Any way of cleaning it without taking it all apart?

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 2.4 jtdm makes a loud ticking noise,,,, im leaving it to the better weather as my timing belt may have to come off to get inlet manifold off ,,,,not to sure what I am going to do might replace all manifold without swirl flaps you can buy kit on ebay,,,
multiscan for your injectors look all ok for what I have read -1.00 to +1-00 is in tolerence so yours are great

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel like I may have to wait too. Been reading about the pros and cons of swirl flaps, it's a tough call. Something certainly needs doing anyway. Thanks for your input. :)

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,139 Posts
Run a tank of Millers first, its quite likely to be an injector snapping shut, it wont clear overnight. I had this issue when I ran a 1.9Jtdm. I finished up using Millers every fill, I use the petrol version in the Brera now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. I am still holding onto a fading hope that it's a case of getting a proper additive. Would have loved a petrol version. I feel a little bit bad for getting a diesel Alfa as my first one, but I just had to have one and the money only allowed for a diesel. Still adore it through all the niggles though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts