Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all. I'm about to start restoration work on a rare old classic GTV from the 60's. I would appreciate if any of you could recommend some premium quality companies who could attend to interior & exterior restoration. The car is in extremely good condition as is, but I want to take it back to the condition in which it left the factory. Appreciate your support. The work have to be done in South Africa, but details of original international parts & trim suppliers will be welcomed.The quality of the job is important.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
I would have a look and ask on the Alfa BB - there is quite a strong SA contingent on there, who would be able to help/recommend etc

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you want top class premium restoration then Tino in Sedgefield tops the list.

No compromise, back to bare metal body restoration and then rebuild from there - nut and bolt, including mechanical and interior done in house.

Budget R400k and you car will be better than the day it left the factory. 12/18 month waiting list.

I will pm you his contact details, just need to lay my hands on it..

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you want top class premium restoration then Tino in Sedgefield tops the list.

No compromise, back to bare metal body restoration and then rebuild from there - nut and bolt, including mechanical and interior done in house.

Budget R400k and you car will be better than the day it left the factory. 12/18 month waiting list.

I feel its my duty to comment on this extremely bad suggestion of using Tino from Sedgefield.
He completely butchered my 1968 Alfa Romeo Spider:The car was sent to him in order to elevate it to a higher level and as from this advert/suggestion from coetzeeh, he came highly recommended.
The list of ridiculous things this guy did to my spider is so long that I will only mention a few.
1) He sprayed the whole cars underside and sides of the lower body with stonechip,he sprayed the inside of my bonnet with stone chip,the whole engine compartment with stone chip,he sprayed my bootlid with stone chip and sprayed it black (the car is RED!).
2) He made his own aluminium radio blanking plate(without asking me) which looked ridiculous,when i gave him the brand new Pininfarina radio blanking plate that had cost me well over R1000 from Classic Alfa in The UK,he didnt bother removing his aluminium monstrosity,he simply glued the back of the Pininfarina blanking plate to the aluminium piece immediately ruining it since the glue messed up all the paintwork inside the brand new piece.
3)he ruined my brand new high quality soft top(Cost about R10000) because he fitted it to the frame with the frame off the car,and when he refitted it,he found he couldnt get it to fit properly or taughtly,so he modified the frame!The softop itself didnt last very long after that since his modification led to one of the struts piercing the softop!
4)He filled my engine compartment with heat absorbing foil material,again i never asked for it and he never consulted me.
5)The backseat area had an original trim that covered it and the sides of the car,when i asked him about it ,he said that it was in bad condition so he threw it away,photos that I had pre "restoration" showed that the piece was in excellent condition.Just a case of "redistributing" the piece i suspect.
6) he fitted a reverse light from a Jaguar that he had lying around,again didnt ask me.
7)He fitted a dashboard cover which looked ok except that he used remaining pieces of the aluminium that he had to make air vents that he sprayed black..they looked ridiculous and since he glued them on to the dash cover once I took them off the cover was no longer useable and once i removed the cover i realized that he completely destroyed what was a very decent original dashboard underneath,again i have all the before and after photos to prove this assertion,these are not idle comments,absolutely everything can be backed up.
8) he completely covered my fuel tank in stone chip paint and somehow made the very rare foam-like piece that covers the top of it dissapear...another case of "redistribution" i suspect.
The creme of the creme however is the complete hatchet job he did to my floors,or rather what he didnt do,i had rust(and still do) in the drivers and passenger front floors ,the front drivers floor had a large piece of steel pop rivetted on,the back bench had rust as well.Not only did Tino know about this,since he received about 100 photos prior to commencing, detailing everything, butall these faults were clearly visible under the carpeting,Tino however covered the floors with about 10kg of stone chip and bitumen,trying to give the idea he had fixed the problems,but i recently stripped the car down to properly restore it,and all the same faults are still there.So Tino deliberately COVERED UP everything,this is fraud and deception and since some of these rust areas were potentially structural ,Mr Laranjeira effectively put me at risk by returning the car to me in a potentially precarious condition,without informing me of this,I am currently seeking legal advice to work out if this is bordrline criminal.
This is a basic summary of the work done,there are many more ridiculous modifications this absolute sham undertook,so think very clearly about using this guy,and if you have already used him,get a real expert to check on the work,i seriously doubt i am the only guy he has defrauded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can contact Tino's workshop on [email protected].

let us know how you get on.
I feel its my duty to comment on this extremely bad suggestion of using Tino from Sedgefield.
He completely butchered my 1968 Alfa Romeo Spider:The car was sent to him in order to elevate it to a higher level and as from this advert/suggestion from coetzeeh, he came highly recommended.
The list of ridiculous things this guy did to my spider is so long that I will only mention a few.
1) He sprayed the whole cars underside and sides of the lower body with stonechip,he sprayed the inside of my bonnet with stone chip,the whole engine compartment with stone chip,he sprayed my bootlid with stone chip and sprayed it black (the car is RED!).
2) He made his own aluminium radio blanking plate(without asking me) which looked ridiculous,when i gave him the brand new Pininfarina radio blanking plate that had cost me well over R1000 from Classic Alfa in The UK,he didnt bother removing his aluminium monstrosity,he simply glued the back of the Pininfarina blanking plate to the aluminium piece immediately ruining it since the glue messed up all the paintwork inside the brand new piece.
3)he ruined my brand new high quality soft top(Cost about R10000) because he fitted it to the frame with the frame off the car,and when he refitted it,he found he couldnt get it to fit properly or taughtly,so he modified the frame!The softop itself didnt last very long after that since his modification led to one of the struts piercing the softop!
4)He filled my engine compartment with heat absorbing foil material,again i never asked for it and he never consulted me.
5)The backseat area had an original trim that covered it and the sides of the car,when i asked him about it ,he said that it was in bad condition so he threw it away,photos that I had pre "restoration" showed that the piece was in excellent condition.Just a case of "redistributing" the piece i suspect.
6) he fitted a reverse light from a Jaguar that he had lying around,again didnt ask me.
7)He fitted a dashboard cover which looked ok except that he used remaining pieces of the aluminium that he had to make air vents that he sprayed black..they looked ridiculous and since he glued them on to the dash cover once I took them off the cover was no longer useable and once i removed the cover i realized that he completely destroyed what was a very decent original dashboard underneath,again i have all the before and after photos to prove this assertion,these are not idle comments,absolutely everything can be backed up.
8) he completely covered my fuel tank in stone chip paint and somehow made the very rare foam-like piece that covers the top of it dissapear...another case of "redistribution" i suspect.
The creme of the creme however is the complete hatchet job he did to my floors,or rather what he didnt do,i had rust(and still do) in the drivers and passenger front floors ,the front drivers floor had a large piece of steel pop rivetted on,the back bench had rust as well.Not only did Tino know about this,since he received about 100 photos prior to commencing, detailing everything, butall these faults were clearly visible under the carpeting,Tino however covered the floors with about 10kg of stone chip and bitumen,trying to give the idea he had fixed the problems,but i recently stripped the car down to properly restore it,and all the same faults are still there.So Tino deliberately COVERED UP everything,this is fraud and deception and since some of these rust areas were potentially structural ,Mr Laranjeira effectively put me at risk by returning the car to me in a potentially precarious condition,without informing me of this,I am currently seeking legal advice to work out if this is bordrline criminal.
This is a basic summary of the work done,there are many more ridiculous modifications this absolute sham undertook,so think very clearly about using this guy,and if you have already used him,get a real expert to check on the work,i seriously doubt i am the only guy he has defrauded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Coetzeeh,

Appreciate your feedback! Haven't been on for a while and just saw your message. Thank you!
[/QUO
TE]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi to all. I'm about to start restoration work on a rare old classic GTV from the 60's. I would appreciate if any of you could recommend some premium quality companies who could attend to interior & exterior restoration. The car is in extremely good condition as is, but I want to take it back to the condition in which it left the factory. Appreciate your support. The work have to be done in South Africa, but details of original international parts & trim suppliers will be welcomed.The quality of the job is important.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think you've made your point.....
Just as long as people are aware.It could save an unsuspecting honest person looking for a restoration from a money perspective and more importantly safety, because it would appear that these unscrupulous people, masquerading as restorers, with greed their primary focus, dont relaize the potential dangers and repercussions their dishonest activity can lead to....

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I think they are aware now but you need to be careful with liability

1 - 15 of 15 Posts