Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My renewal is due in about 5 days and it is simply a lot more than I want to pay.

What does it take to have a car insured on a classic policy?

I know one requirement is a limited milage and I only do about 3000 miles a year.

Also, I am aware it can not be a primary car. I am insured on my wife's MX5 as a named driver so I have access to another car.

For a classic policy to work does the other car have to be owned and insured in my name?

Cheers,
Jack

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
I would ring around Jack, my policy has come down substantially this year as have many other's. A Classic has to be a 2nd Car ie not a "Daily driver" a "Weekend Toy" I believe the other car does need to be in your name or at least have an insurance policy as you as the named driver but! i guess your problem is that the Mazda is in your wifes name and you are only a named driver. I would spend a couple of hrs on Monday ringing around several companies and as a slap on the wrist you should have been doing this a month before your Insurance is due. As a further note never ever accept the renewal quote always tell them they need to do much better and tell them a white lie that you have a quote for what you would like to pay from another insurer and give them the name of their competitor and i bet you will get a much better quote.;)

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Dan,
PM sent.
Thank you ER. Yes, well aware I should be phoning round a while before - it is such a long process that takes lunch breaks or even time off work to commit to it - neither have been easily available.
Thanks for the advice. I might be able to get something a lot more reasonable!
There is no rush to insure it as I can just take it off the road if need be.
Jack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts