Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what do the rocket scientists at MSN reckon...

...Top 25 cheap classic cars to invest in

First choice - AlfaSud
That There Stoopid Article said:
Rust has killed many of these little gems, and today there are fewer than 100 Alfasuds enjoying active service in Britain
So with "only 100" to pick from they recking you can pick one up for...

...£1,500 :rolleyes:

Also mentioned'

Quinn's 6
Pud's 3 series estate
SiEiF's sheetroen GS
Symon's Puma
Pug 505 and Renault Fuego?
..and finally, horror of horrors, a 240 Estate
What will you be rushing out to buy?

·
Registered
15,802 Posts
I love articles declaring that cars everyone accepted as classics years ago, and whose values have been on the up for a decade, are going to be the next big thing. Tossy glossy mags like Octane do it all the time.

·
Registered
38,674 Posts
If I was buying a classic for the future it would be something with a Busso V6.

Probably a 3 litre variant.

Also a Mid Noughties Renaultsport Clio Trophy is going to be a good investment.

·
Registered
800 Posts
id like a corrado vr6 or bmw e30 325i sport but they are the only two id consider ....:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Was that written by Mike Brewer?......."Now then, this week we are going to do an E type jag, which I managed to scoop up after a lot of bargaining for £1000".

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Dicey business investing in a classic. The market is a little dynamic currently. I'd choose carefully but ultimately because you like the car.
I'll leave investing to the experts of which I am most certainly not.

Anyway that list.

Porsche 924.
Mercedes SL,
MK2 Tina.
Capri (always wanted a Capri).
Alfa Sud. Never thought much of them in their day but reading on here what owners think I'd like to try.

Love the 64 Alfa Giulia.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I don't plan to sell mine unless I reach a point that I can justify blowing a load of money on a 50's Giulietta, god how I'd love an SS or a SZ

·
Registered
38,674 Posts
Someone I work with bought an old VW camper van for £13k a couple of years back. He has just sold it for £20k plus.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I still wish I'd bought that mint green 964 Porsche 911RS in 2004 for £29.9k ...just 10k more than I could afford. I still remember MrsJim poo pooing me for saying it would appreciate if I kept it over 10 years. Check the prices now. :cry:

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
I was in a dead faint when i bought my classic in 2001. I assumed I'd bought at the peak like I do everything else.

15 years later and now I'm just kicking myself I didn't buy more of them back then....

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I was in a dead faint when i bought my classic in 2001. I assumed I'd bought at the peak like I do everything else.

15 years later and now I'm just kicking myself I didn't buy more of them back then....
A car appreciating in value is nice but its not the reason we buy them is it, or it shouldn't be

·
Registered
36,737 Posts
We're investing in raising some children to support us in our old age !
I've considered now is the time however to get a Fiat Barchetta before they appreciate ,but I'm looking at it as potentially being a car I could use. However, time has passed since considering getting one new..

·
Premium Member
77,410 Posts
I'm aiming on retiring (or nabbing a voluntary exit scheme - if such a thing exists then) in 6 yrs or so, having made some savings after the mortgage is paid in around 3 years.

I'll then try and get a job in B&Q being unhelpful around the drills section.

And I won't be investing.....I'll be buying. Something fun, not fast, probably. Something to keep me busy.

Not being sacked or dying are pretty much fundamental to this essentially flaky "plan".

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Mine isn't too dissimilar Steve. I might have to work longer given JimJr's age if he goes to university. He'll only be doing A-levels when I get to official retirement age.

Hopefully the pension and no mortgage will be sufficient with a little job.

I just have to hope I'm not sacked in the intervening years. Having "celebrated" :lol: 31 years at the same company last Thursday I fear I am institutionalised! Dying is a more serious spanner in the plan.

Reactions: steveisfrowning

·
Registered
800 Posts
No mortgage and semi-retired and still no decent classic here...:depressed:

I did have a couple of reliant scimitars and a imp for a while but sold them for what i paid for them.Stag high on my list but ive got to get rid of a couple of cars first :devious:

·
Premium Member
77,410 Posts
Mine isn't too dissimilar Steve. I might have to work longer given JimJr's age if he goes to university. He'll only be doing A-levels when I get to official retirement age.

Hopefully the pension and no mortgage will be sufficient with a little job.

I just have to hope I'm not sacked in the intervening years. Having "celebrated" :lol: 31 years at the same company last Thursday I fear I am institutionalised! Dying is a more serious spanner in the plan.
My youngest is almost 16.....so I may be slightly optimistic. :paranoid:

29yrs here :yes:

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,533 Posts
I like the RX-7 a lot, but I don't know enough about the rotary engine to know whether the oil/reliability issues are fact or myth.

W123 is a safe bet and I've always liked the Pug 505 - handsome in that square cut way that defined many 70s/80s boxes like the Fiat 131/132 and the Ford Granada (not the hatch one - the one before)

I came *that* close to buying a Corrado VR6 a few years back, but we had that engine in a Sharan or Galaxy at work some years back. It was a nice engine, but the chains (?) were quite complex IIRC and if neglected (lack of regular fresh oil?) were pricey to fix. I'd still consider one though, but would need to do the homework first.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Apart from the 156 GTA I bought last year, the only reason I have a few cars is because I'm absolutely useless at ever selling them. I get attached to cars and then that's it!

I'm trying to find a nice 205 GTi at the moment but there so many rust boxes out there and the prices aren't reflective of condition.

I'm hoping that what I have will pay for my daughters education/ help her get on the property ladder when the time comes..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts