1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
680 Posts
Has anyone bought any of these Discs ? Look like a good investment to me but would be interested to hear any comments from anyone who has bought one, or more. :thumbs:

CarDisc International Ltd. - Alfa Romeo Manuals, Giulietta Manuals, Giulia Manuals, GTV Manuals, Spider Manuals, American Austin & American Bantam
Yeap.... me. Rather helpful, includes various versions of the user/owner manuals, plus details of the mechanicals, etc. Highwood alfa sell them too, but they are never cheap!

Peter

·
16,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeap.... me. Rather helpful, includes various versions of the user/owner manuals, plus details of the mechanicals, etc. Highwood alfa sell them too, but they are never cheap!

Peter
:thumbs: Thanks Peter, I'll get buying then, but not from Highwood ! :eek: They sometimes advertise on eBay so that's one route otherwise I'll just go direct to them.

Cheers,

Nige.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have one of these, to be honest I find it a bit disappointing.

The useful stuff is (obviously) the workshop manual section, but I wish I'd put a bit more effort into looking for the paper/folder versions the CarDisc is a scan of. Maybe I'm an old fart, but I find it much harder finding information/reading wiring diagrams on a screen than on paper, and checking the key/legend for a diagram that is 250 pages of pdf away is a pain. Printing relevant pages out is the answer I suppose (and saves the original getting grubby, creased or ripped up in rage) but for some reason I find myself resistant to doing this.

·
16,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one of these, to be honest I find it a bit disappointing.

The useful stuff is (obviously) the workshop manual section, but I wish I'd put a bit more effort into looking for the paper/folder versions the CarDisc is a scan of. Maybe I'm an old fart, but I find it much harder finding information/reading wiring diagrams on a screen than on paper, and checking the key/legend for a diagram that is 250 pages of pdf away is a pain. Printing relevant pages out is the answer I suppose (and saves the original getting grubby, creased or ripped up in rage) but for some reason I find myself resistant to doing this.
:thumbs: All very valid points and I think that the only way to use these DVD/CD's is to print off the bits you need as you need them, that's what I do with the TS CD I have. I do have, on loan, a Haynes Manual for Alfetta 116 cars but you know for a fact that some things in it are either not applicable or incorrect or both. Snag is when using the wiring diagram for instance is it right or is it wrong ? Could spend hours finding out.........:eek:

Sigh, more expense, I'll have to buy a DVD drive for my steam driven Computer, which, incidentally, matches my steam driven brain. :cry:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hmm, I forgot about the Haynes. Taking that into account, the CarDisc seems better value already! At least the info is more trustworthy.

·
16,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, I forgot about the Haynes. Taking that into account, the CarDisc seems better value already! At least the info is more trustworthy.
:thumbs: All in all I think I'll invest the few Bucks required, not a lot of cash and it has to be of some use. :)

·
16,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

G

·
Bought one last year...lots of useful info in there, but the manner in which the pages were scanned leaves a lot to be desired...in some cases, multiple pages overlapped and were scanned that way, making some pages unreadable. Othewrwise, I found the Cardisc made a useful companion to my service manual, and this BB !!

·
16,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bought one last year...lots of useful info in there, but the manner in which the pages were scanned leaves a lot to be desired...in some cases, multiple pages overlapped and were scanned that way, making some pages unreadable. Othewrwise, I found the Cardisc made a useful companion to my service manual, and this BB !!
:thumbs:Thanks for the info. :thumbs:

·
Registered
480 Posts
It is a useful source of information but as others have pointed out, the scanning leaves a little to be desired. The poor indexing and referencing is as much an issue with the original layout of the manuals, especially the parts listings, as with the transfer. I have the equivalent CD of scanned manulas from Jaguar which are much better (and cheaper), so it can be done properly.

·
16,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is a useful source of information but as others have pointed out, the scanning leaves a little to be desired. The poor indexing and referencing is as much an issue with the original layout of the manuals, especially the parts listings, as with the transfer. I have the equivalent CD of scanned manulas from Jaguar which are much better (and cheaper), so it can be done properly.
:thumbs: I think that anything has to be a help.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
I had a look, but to be honest I'm confused as to what car to say mine is...
There is so far only ONE Mackie I actually trust with my car down here as most of the rest scartch their heads and say: "er, which year was this again?" or "You sure it came with this 2.0L motor?"
So yeah...
I usually end up buying like two or three books/CD's about my car..

·
16,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a look, but to be honest I'm confused as to what car to say mine is...
There is so far only ONE Mackie I actually trust with my car down here as most of the rest scartch their heads and say: "er, which year was this again?" or "You sure it came with this 2.0L motor?"
So yeah...
I usually end up buying like two or three books/CD's about my car..
:lol::lol::lol:
And enjoy them all......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts