Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
and that Golf R32 - I thought Clarkson preferred the 147 GTA in that popular Top Gear test.....unless that was the older R32 that got 'beaten' ?

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
He's a bit full of it, isn't he? ;)
he's a journalist who can barely drive and doesnt understand the first thing about chassis dynamics. he cant even change spark plugs in a reasonable amount of time. i have no respect for his opinion of any car because he is not qualifed to have that opinion.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
and that Golf R32 - I thought Clarkson preferred the 147 GTA in that popular Top Gear test.....unless that was the older R32 that got 'beaten' ?
In that test he concluded that it you had a brain, you would of gone for the Golf..

As the 147 GTA was to quote "An Insane car"

I do like clarkson as a journalist, but I agree he is in no way technical....In fact the GTA review he gave, he just took the **** out of it.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
147GTA's weakness boils down to the golden rule; there is no point having power if you cant use it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
"First, as you drive along you can feel the Alfa-ness of this car, the little tingles and the droplets of feedback that you don’t really get from anything else in this class.

You haven’t bought a car to drive around in like your hair’s on fire. You’re not a yob. You’re not a bore. You’ve bought something for one reason only: because it’s beautiful."...Classic Clarkson!! I think he is a cracking guy, and yes; a bit up himself. There is times I wish I was him :wow:

·
Registered
140 Posts
he's a journalist who can barely drive and doesnt understand the first thing about chassis dynamics. he cant even change spark plugs in a reasonable amount of time. i have no respect for his opinion of any car because he is not qualifed to have that opinion.
Clarkson hater... :lol:

Everyone has their own opinion, it's free speech... I certainly wouldn't mind his job...

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
id say working topgear for 20 odd years makes him more than qualified to pass judgement on cars, what the fcuk has being able to change spark plugs got to do with anything? i wonder how many F1 drivers can change spark plugs? do they know nothing as well?

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
id say working topgear for 20 odd years makes him more than qualified to pass judgement on cars.
i'd say that makes him qualifed to host a TV show.

what the fcuk has being able to change spark plugs got to do with anything? i wonder how many F1 drivers can change spark plugs? do they know nothing as well?
his lack of familiarity under the bonnet strongly suggests he does not have any experience of cars in his past. i think you'd have a hard time finding an F1 driver who couldnt change plugs, they would have been changing them track side in their kart days. JC came to top gear as a journalist who likes cars, not a car expert who likes presenting. if he wants to tell me how to write a good column i'm all ears, if he tries to tell me what makes a car handle well i would laugh, he woudnt even know the difference between castor and camber. he cant even use the jargon correctly, saying torques instead of torque is a good example, i mean WTF is torques?! i emailed him about that but had no reply :(

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
if he tries to tell me what makes a car handle well i would laugh, he woudnt even know the difference between castor and camber.
Thing is, he doesn't pretend to know why one car handles better than another - he just comments that one handles better.

he cant even use the jargon correctly, saying torques instead of torque is a good example, i mean WTF is torques?! i emailed him about that but had no reply :(
Again, that's sort of the point. He's not an engineer, and neither are the majority of his audience. They don't care about lb/ft or Nm, just the general idea that more is better.

I'd go along with jabberwocky - remember that when he's doing all the powersliding and doughnuts and stuff he's not trying to show us all how good a driver he is, he's trying to make entertaining TV. If all we knew about Tiff Needell or Jason Plato was what we see on 5th Gear, we probably wouldn't rate them much either.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i'd say that makes him qualifed to host a TV show.

his lack of familiarity under the bonnet strongly suggests he does not have any experience of cars in his past. i think you'd have a hard time finding an F1 driver who couldnt change plugs, they would have been changing them track side in their kart days. JC came to top gear as a journalist who likes cars, not a car expert who likes presenting. if he wants to tell me how to write a good column i'm all ears, if he tries to tell me what makes a car handle well i would laugh, he woudnt even know the difference between castor and camber. he cant even use the jargon correctly, saying torques instead of torque is a good example, i mean WTF is torques?! i emailed him about that but had no reply :(
It's obvious that he says "torques" on purpose, as a joke. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts