Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great though it was to see Jeremy, James and Richard say that they would buy the Brera, why did they have to spoil it by saying it will break down all the time?

I remember looking in TG magazine at the reliability index recently and seeing that Peugeot, Citroen, Renault, even Mercedes were worse than Alfa.
I don't hear him saying that every Mercedes will break down though they obviously do...

Having also watched Top gear I want to start a debate. Would my 145 QV be faster around the TG track than the 2.2 Brera?
I am willing to lend my Totally standard car to The Stig to find out. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Having watched them breakdown in all manner of marques it was unfair to brand Alfa as unreliable even if lightheartedly, where do they get their evidence? Surely hearsay like this is so damaging! If I were at Alfa UK I would be lodging a formal complaint with the BBC.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Clarkson Doesn't care about the facts he just goes for the contovesy every time.

He really does like Alfa but he can't resist having a dig.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Having watched them breakdown in all manner of marques it was unfair to brand Alfa as unreliable even if lightheartedly, where do they get their evidence? Surely hearsay like this is so damaging! If I were at Alfa UK I would be lodging a formal complaint with the BBC.
They had complaints from road safety and mental health charities after the first episode so a letter from AR isn't going to worry them too much. :)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
They're just lampooning the stereotype, the simple fact is that lot of petrol heads would buy a flawed car for a superior experience. Where does that leave the rest of the car buying populace though?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I agree, even said in jest it gives up to 8 million people a bad image of Alfa. P1$$ed me right off. I'm probably temping fate now but i have had nothing but 100% reliability from both my 156 and previous 146.(touch wood, Genuflect!). And Hammond or May didn't contradict him either.:mad:

I must say tho the Brera does not look right on a track. Seemed very ponderous and, well, BIG! Definately a Grand Tourer and not a track car.

:)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
So the comments about TVR didn't bother you then? It's just one persons views, hardly slander is it!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Didn't put me off buying an Alfa for the first time - I wanted something different, with style, quite rare and a bit quirky, plus I didn't fancy being part of the BM/Audi/Merc brigade. The GT fits the bill perfectly.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
To be honest, I thought it was a very good review. We all know what the limitations of the car are, and I guess one flaw in their review was that they didn't emphasise the GT rather than sports coupe nature of the Brera. Having said that, I too, like Clarkson, Hammond and May, am disapointed by the Brera, and its not the automatic choice that it should be. I hope they bring out a lighter, faster version, and alter the styling so it doesn't look so similar to the 159 from the front.

P

·
0 Posts
I actually think Alfa came out well in the "argument". They go out of their way to lampoon everything so that we don't take their "opinions" seriously. Guys, I spend long enough explaining to my 14 year old son that Clarkson is not God :tut:

And, let's face it, they called the Audi a 'Golf in a Frock' :cheese: and (what was the other car?? Oh yes...)

The Brera was the best looking, inside and out, and performed really well - without all the £8000 worth of extras the TT had on it!! Who cares that it was SLIGHTLY slower? It just means everyone has longer to enjoy the experience!!!! :D

And it was a nice colour :lol: (Speaking as an artist)

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Where does that put the 166 on the list as he loves that.?
And they didn't sell.

Love my 2 tho even after cambelt failure at 86thou...Not car's fault....Stupid dealer prior to my purchase....If only I'd just got it changed.(Yes I'm 5 percent to blame)..Then I would be wondering what all the fuss was about.

So if the converse is true...Ie he loves the 166 and it doesn't sell the fact he "ridicules" it may well sell indeed....

At the end though if I recall correctly THEY ALL WOULD HAVE TAKEN THE ALFA......I was still laughing at "So the BEST is The WORST"

Didn't believe the las bit though..

The night before the info on the TG rerun was showing 166 ..Was going to watch it again But it was The MAy bloke in a 147....Good but not the same.

Pomeo

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
AAARGH the last post was 167.

Missed out sorry..

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
On this forum alone, there are several examples of folks having longstanding issues with the Brera's. Some have even had replacements & these have been just as flawed. This is unforgivable for such a low volume car :tut:

The piddly little faults take you to the dealers & that's where you troubles really begin. Parts are always on "back order" & ARUK don't give a toss :mad:

Clarkson is quite right in what he says. I bought an Alfa expecting worse that I've had (but hoping for better).

Out of the 3 cars tested, I'd have the Brera though :cool:

Cheers,

·
Registered
267 Posts
i thought the whole segment was spot on. alfas are quirky and unreliable compared to most thats one of the main attractions,stops other people buying them and keeps them a reasonably rare sight on the road.
i think james may did a great piece for the alfa.
the lap was hilarious, when stig stabbed the brake it dove like a whale:lol: just like my car..why cant alfa supply decent suspension, its not difficult.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Not A Very Long Ago like in the fairytale, but recently and often, the God Clarkson has pointed his large Wit at Mercedes Benz dealerships, so sometimes he must be right!!!

"Would my 145 QV be faster around the TG track than the 2.2 Brera?"
... not for my money, on handling alone. Is there a track that smooth??

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Not A Very Long Ago like in the fairytale, but recently and often, the God Clarkson has pointed his large Wit at Mercedes Benz dealerships, so sometimes he must be right!!!

"Would my 145 QV be faster around the TG track than the 2.2 Brera?"
... not for my money, on handling alone. Is there a track that smooth??

I don't think there would be a lot in the lap time between the QV and the Brera to be honest. I remember the stig lapping the track in a clapped out Rover 416GTI in 1min 40secs that is only around 4.5 seconds slower than the Brera. I am pretty sure having driven both that my 145 would lap a lot faster than the Rover.

The Brera did look very ponderous and roly poly around the track too.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I don't honestly think there would be a lot in the lap time between the QV and the Brera to be honest. I remember the stig lapping the track in a clapped out Rover 416GTI in 1min 40secs that is only around 4.5 seconds slower than the Brera. I am pretty sure having driven both that my 145 would lap a lot faster than the Rover.
The Brera set the same time (almost exactly) as the Civic Type-R, if that's any guide.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts