Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
38,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered really, has anyone owned or driven one of these and what was it like?

I have always liked the styling of them, and they are cheap for what they offer.

You can bag a really good one for under 2k if you are lucky.

I am interested in the Petrol engined version to possibly replace my boring looking Golf.

:cool:

·
Registered
15,426 Posts
I have no practical experience but I do like the quirky looks quite a lot.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Horribly ugly slab-arsed excuse of a "coupe".

:tut:

There's a reason they're rare: no one bought any. ;)

·
Registered
15,426 Posts
Steering wheel looks a bit busy but don't they all these days. My only other looks issue is with the badges which just look naff.

·
Registered
38,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Horribly ugly slab-arsed excuse of a "coupe".

:tut:

There's a reason they're rare: no one bought any. ;)
Are C4 coupe's rare?

I see quite a lot of them around here, although most are not VTS models.

The regular 5 door C4 is as ugly as sin though that is for sure.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Yes owned one for a few weeks couple of years back. I liked it, although typical Citreon, ie good comfy ride, but crap build quality. 2 x Air con compressors fitted according to service history, glove box lid fell off. Interesting dash layout and nice to look at though.

If cheap enough I would say have a punt

Cheers
MC

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've heard through a mechanic mate of mine that the electrics are prone to catastrophic failure. The ECU's apparently give a lot of trouble and are horrendously expensive to fix. Buyer beware!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I've heard through a mechanic mate of mine that the electrics are prone to catastrophic failure. The ECU's apparently give a lot of trouble and are horrendously expensive to fix. Buyer beware!
We ran a few dozen C4's on my fleet, didnt experience this as far as I am aware. plenty other problems though

Cheers
M

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Rare in France.

No one buys Citroen except old folk so a 2-door "Coupe"
didn't sell very well in the home market.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,185 Posts
We have a C4 that is used as a company hack several people drive it, it is an 06 plate we bought new, now has over 80K of abuse on the clock. The only expense has been regular service bits plus a battery. Since 1990 it is the 11th Citroen I have owned, I have never had any major problems or expense with any of them.

Sure Citroens can have problems , any car can, but the problem cars you hear most biut down the pub will be the likes of Citroen or Err Alfa Romeo. Just buy it and have some fun Symon, you can always flog it again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had a C4 Coupe about 3 cars ago - But only the lowly 1.6 HDi was a VTR+ however so looked like a VTS, same seats etc. Was a great car. Brought it on about 50k sold it on about 98k and had no problems whatso ever. Many of these 'they go wrong all the time' comments are from people who have never owned a french car. They prob try to explain to people how there Alfa 'isnt as bad as people say, they've never had one but french cars suck'

My C4 was really comfy and handled pretty good (most french stuff does) and i'd have another. The 180 engine is the same as in the 206 GTi 180 etc and is a fairly reliable lump, lack of torque but rev for england!

Lots of car for the money.

For the record my french cars were;

96 Renault Clio (Did 25k in it) - No real issues except failed water pump (which the garage didnt change at cambelt change as recommended)
2000 Megane Coupe 1.6 16v (Did about 50k in it) - No problems till i crashed it
2001 Megane Coupe 1.6 16v (Did about 25k in it) - No problems
2004 Citroen C2 VTS (did about 25k in it) - Had one issue with inlet manifold gasket
2005 Citroen C4 VTR+ as above.

The only car i've ever broken down in is actually one of the cars we currently have, MK6.5 Fiesta ST - which suffered a split coolant pipe.

Lee

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Many of these 'they go wrong all the time' comments are from people who have never owned a french car.
I live there. They go wrong allllll the time. Believe me.

No one I know owns a Citron[sic] (seen as an old person's car)
and those who own renaults have all had serious and expensive
problems with them. Most times a few months out of the 2 year warranty.

Meganes have a terrible reputation. Cambelt, steering columns, main instrument
board blowing in the dash is a major, major expense to get sorted.

Why do you think the French try and export so many?

;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Fair enough i can only speak from personal experience.

Friends

One had a 2001 Megane coupe - great car no probs
He then had a 2003 (bum shape) Megane - had fairly constant problems with this one
also has a C5 estate - had about ayear so far, no problems

Another mate had a 106 gti - no issues

My Mum currently has a 2007 Megane convertible - no problems so far and had it about 4 years now

·
Registered
38,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I will see how it goes.

If a good one turns up at a good price fairly locally I might take a punt on it.

We did have a pair of 2002 C5 estates at my work, and I wasn't keen I must admit. They did have loads of problems but to be fair they were abused.

It was the driving experience that put me off most though.

But as the C4 hasn't got that pointless and dodgy suspension I would imagine that they are quite different.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
The C4 launch was when build quality and quality control (for the time) really moved on with the brand. A well serviced C4 shouldn't give you any grief and all of the engines are strong and reliable, although the 1.4 petrol was of course way out of it's depth. The 2.0 petrol motors along at a reasonable pace and you get a fair amount of kit on the VTS. There haven't even been many recalls on the car. The most recent was to renew the cable casing running into the boot as it had a habit of chafing.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts