Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I thought it would be a good idea to invest in a solar panel to keep my car battery topped up over the winter weeks, :( but it seems that after a few days the cigarette lighter has no power?

Now I thought that there would be a fuse under the steering wheel, but I can not locate the fuse???, would it be possible that the element is blown?, are they easy enough to re install?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have a Alfa 146 Junior.

Thanks.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Hi! Time to get the old wiring diagram out I reckon. Trace the circuit, i.d.the fuse, might be worth starting at the business end of the cigar lighter to verify supply is being fed to it. If no, diagram back track ,maybe you can i.d. the fuse, but as this protects other circuits, probably not a problem. maybe the cigar lighter element/socket is Kaput. Sorry I can't be more helpful,not clued on electrics!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, sounds like a nightmare. May try the element and contact the local scrappy see if I can obtain a cigar lighter element.

Thanks for you help all, looks like a busy weekend ahead of me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think the falut could be the housing of the cigar lighter?

I am knackered without this working as I can charge my mobile phone, power my sat nav, use any aux gadgets

Are they expensive to pick up?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Have you got the owners manual? I'm sure it says in there what fuse to look at. Actually there might be a problem with that as the book probably refers to 'fuseXYZ' but might not tell you where in the array XYZ sits!!!
We bought out 147 second hand with a defunct cigarette lighter. Stupidly I jumped to the conclusioin that there was something wrong with the wiring to it because the car had an 'orrible after-market phone cradle in it. I probably assumed someone had nicked the feed to the lighter to power the phone. AFTER removing half the trim I discovered the fuse blown!!! Yep I felt a T!t!
Motto - Check fuse 1ST, then dismantle car.
PS lighters are interchangeable, try one form another car or try your lighter in some elses car.
Further warning to stupid owners of vintage & older classics like me! Don't plug your phone charger in to your POSITIVE EARTH car like I did. They die!!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Relay problem? try to locate the relay or relays, not sure if there are more than one, check them out, or it!! Trial and error is the limit of my electrical knowledge, annoyingly enough I had a similar problem in the past but can't for the life of me remember the fix!

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
The supply to the lighter is only live when the ignition is switched on, so unless you leave the car with the ignition on, you're wasting your time plugging your charger into the lighter socket!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Did wonder about that one Dave, but as only have the wife's 147 to compare, wasn't sure whether the 146 was the same. Thanks for posting this one though, helps to be reminded about things. Regards,zf

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Yes,
why do Alfa do that - really annoying, don't they trust their electrics or something?

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Yes,
why do Alfa do that - really annoying, don't they trust their electrics or something?
.......and just to be really annoying, they have a permanent live feed to the radio! (Two, actually!)

The manual for my radio/CD warns that the display draws a lot of current even when the unit's not in use & advises, on cars with a permanent live, to switch the display off every time you switch the ignition off. I've just wired the radio into the lighter circuit so it's done for me!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Baffled, ours had Sony. If you were diligent you took the display and put it in your pocket. No currents drawn then!!
So you're putting lighter current through radio fuse??? Hmmm.
Well if it's working the way you need....well done!

·
Registered
9 Posts
When you find the fuse, remove it....once done, remove the stubby bit of the lighter that gets hot, and ul see you tabs at the bottom which look like they can be bent back...well with a small flat bladed screwdriver, gently prize these tabs into the centre of the cylinder...but not by too much else u wont get the stubby bit back in. replace fuse, and try...this could be your problem. HTH

1 - 17 of 17 Posts