Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I know there are plenty of posts about this, but i cant find one thats relevant..
My lighter doesnt seem to have any power going to it at all. Iv checked the fuse, taken the centre console out to check all the connections and cant see anything.
Any other ideas? would be useful to have for the sat nav!

cheers

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I have the same problem, but also the light doesnt come on for the cig lighter or the ash tray when the headlights are on. Checked all the fuses and are fine.

Sorry to jump on board your thread, but will be interested in any anwsers that come through.

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
I was going to say use a lighter...

I think the cigar / cigarette lighter is permanently live, in which case, it is likely a wiring problem. First thing to check is that it is earthed properly.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to say use a lighter...

I think the cigar / cigarette lighter is permanently live, in which case, it is likely a wiring problem. First thing to check is that it is earthed properly.
Cheers. Where is the earthing point?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Hey dude!
You could check there is power to the cig lighter, if there is, I'd suggest the connection is at fault, easy enough to have a look.
I bought a new cigar lighter when I refurbed the centre console in the spider, cheap enough from haulfrauds.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I think the cigar / cigarette lighter is permanently live, in which case, it is likely a wiring problem.
Not on the phase 2. Switched live off the ignition. The fuse ( F13 ) is shared with the climate control ecu ( NOT the fan - that has a seperate fuse ).

So, as long as you've been trying the cigarette lighter with the ignition on :p and the climate controls are working OK, I'd look for 12v at the multi way connector that takes wiring to the centre console ( on the phase 1 it's on the driver's side immediately below the radio ). It should be an orange wire that supplies the cigar lighter. If OK on the dashboard side, check again on the console side. If both get 12v, check for 12v at the cigar lighter connector. If you have 12v at the connector, then there's likely some failure with the lighter socket itself.

If you don't get 12v at the multiway connector by the radio, there will be a break between the multiway and the fusebox after the climate ecu branches off.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey dude!
You could check there is power to the cig lighter, if there is, I'd suggest the connection is at fault, easy enough to have a look.
I bought a new cigar lighter when I refurbed the centre console in the spider, cheap enough from haulfrauds.
i tried to get the old one out but couldnt move it!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I have the same problem, but also the light doesnt come on for the cig lighter or the ash tray when the headlights are on. Checked all the fuses and are fine.
Does the mirror adjustment switch illuminate with the lights on?

If yes, then there's a local wiring fault within the console area or both bulbs ( cigar lighter and ashtray ) have failed. If not you need to check the Yellow/green wire on the same multiway connector I detailed in my answer above. You're looking for 12v ( approx ) with the lights on.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Does the mirror adjustment switch illuminate with the lights on?

If yes, then there's a local wiring fault within the console area or both bulbs ( cigar lighter and ashtray ) have failed. If not you need to check the Yellow/green wire on the same multiway connector I detailed in my answer above. You're looking for 12v ( approx ) with the lights on.
Cheers for the answers, i will use the info to sort it out when i get the chance.

P

·
0 Posts
May be an obvious point, however if the car is new to you or always had this fault, check the stereo wiring. Cigarette lighter is normally the first to go when stereos are wired in badly as used for the live and lighting.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
May be an obvious point, however if the car is new to you or always had this fault, check the stereo wiring. Cigarette lighter is normally the first to go when stereos are wired in badly as used for the live and lighting.
cheers i will consider that. the stereo has been changed and there is a third party alarm system behind the stereo as well. the cig lighter and two lights have never worked since if have had the car. The window control lights do work though though, so fuse is alright.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts