Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but I'm not Italian.

Retired US Navy living every sailor's dream...tidy little pension and a wife who now makes more money than I ever did! I'm quite happy to putter about in the garage and take care of the swimming pool while she works to support my lavish lifestyle.

We currently live in Naples, Italy, after living in Iceland for the past three years and prior to that, Spain for a little over three years.

I lived in Sicily from '83-'86. While there I bought my first Italian sports car, a 1970 Lancia Fulvia Rally. Fun little car.

At the same time I bought a 1976 TR-6 and "rustored" it to decent running condition.

Sold the Lancia.

Crashed the TR-6.

Fast forward the fall of 2006. Got a killer deal on a 2000 BMW Z3 Coupe shortly after arriving in Italy.

Ah, now finally I can say I have a true sports car.

1. Kenwood KVT-815 DVD
2. Clarion SRV303 7” subwoofer
3. Memphis Audio 4-Way amplifier
4. Infinity Kappa series speakers
5. 19” Breyton wheels w/Goodyear F1-GS/D3 tires
6. Eibach lowering spring kit
7. Bavarian Autosport rear camber adjustment kit
8. Dinan Carbon fiber cold air intake kit
9. Bavarian Autosport carbon fiber shift knob
10. Performance chip
11. Black leather interior, Imola Red
12. yadda, yadda, yadda

Four months later I wake up and find the garage door wide open and an empty space where the Bimmer was the night before.:wow:

Italy + sports cars = don't seem to work out for me.

Soooooo, time to look for a replacement. I've now got my eye on a 1997 GTV TB that looks to be in pretty good nick. An attractive blue paint job, black cloth interior, 90K km, aftermarket wheels and tires in very good condition.

Seller says it's in need of nothing and has had all the fluids, belts (cams included) and plugs changed prior to posting for sale.

A look underneath where I expect to find a filthy, oil soaked, knackered suspension reveals what appears to be brand new Bilsteins and all the bushings look the same.

As for the rest of the underside, it appears clean enough to eat off, although rolling the car over onto its top to do so would seem silly.

Selling price of 4100 Euro seems reasonable. I offered him 3700 Euro two weeks ago and the car still hasn't moved. I'll wait another week or so and take it for a test drive.

One thing in my favor is age as the younger crowd can't afford the insurance for a car like that here. My peers see it as "not practical".

Right.

So that's my life story on a pin head. If I don't buy an Alfa for myself I'm sure to be back searching for answers to problems with other Alfas as I work on cars for a sideline/hobby/beer money.

Cheers,

Keith

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Welcome aboard K !
Nice introductive story.
The GTVs are becoming classics,there's no doubt about the qualities of the car,it has been said before but it's so true: the supercar looks without the supercar bills.
Be wary of the TB though,take it for a good spin and look out for any irregularities in the way the engine is sounding/pulling.
Good luck !!!

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Hi Keith, welcome to AO.
Good luck with the purchase of the GTV TB :)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Sounds as though you might be rapidly visited by identity thieves with that lifestyle - keep quiet about it!
Welcome, great to a great site and get yourself an Alfa pronto!
PS no wonder the BM went missing, surely the neighbours removed it to encourage you to get one of their own?

·
Administrator
60,451 Posts
Hi Keith, wonderful intro,:), sounds like you know your way around cars:), you've found a great site with great people:), happy hunting for your alfa :)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hello and Welcome !! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts