Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had no end of bother when first owning the car with the bonnet catch sticking so it wouldn't open. I had it fixed so it was working ok and until today I thought it was fine. It's blooming well doing it again! I haven't opened the bonnet in a while. The last time it opened one side then needed another yank to get the other side to release which is what it was doing it before. I didn't think anything of it at the time... now I realise it was a warning!

Is there a permanent fix before I get a jigsaw and cut holes in the bonnet for checking the oil and screen wash levels? :lol:

I had similar bother with an old skyline but the bonnet would always open with a sufficient yank on the release (sometimes needing some kind of strap wrapped round it so you could pull it much harder) Haven't been able to do that with this one and the last time I tried giving it a robust yank a bit fell off :eek:

Would something like graphite lube in the mechanism stop it being an arse to open?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Oil/grease everything that moves.. to get it open.. get under the front with a torch..reach up.. and give the bowden cable a yank.. it's good to open it once a week when you check the engine oil.. :)

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Also, while you're greasing it all up, get someone to pull the release lever whilst you're looking at the two catches. Make sure they're operating evenly and to the full extent of travel. You adjust the two sides to get it correct ( driver's side is a knurled knob and I think the passenger side is an in-line adjuster like mast stays ( if that means anything to you! ). If you do have to do any adjustment, remove the grille ( 3 bolts ) and the black slam panel ( 4 bolts ) to allow easier access should the adjustment mean the lever no longer works. A bit easier than reaching under the car even if you haven't still got the engine undertray.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Also if the catch attached to the bonnet is not adjusted correctly the catch snags on the side of the locking hole so no matter how hard you pull on the release cable it wont open. I place a length of 3x2" timber under the car wedge one end against the bonnet and the other ontop of a jack and jack up the bonnet to place pressure on the bonnet give it a bash whilst pulling on the cable and it should pop.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/290806-biffas-gtv-project-3.html#post4396806

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try yanking that cable. Fingers crossed I can get it open then I can grease everything and keep opening it and shutting it a few times.

Weekly??? It's lucky if I open it once a month :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts